Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Six axle for CCT?

Date: 01/16/22 09:14
Six axle for CCT?
Author: trainjunkie

Forgive the photo quality. I had just stepped out of the van after catching a ride in from Daggett where I parked my train yesterday morning and saw this in the Barstow Diesel Ready Tracks. All I had was my cell phone and the light couldn't have been worse. But here it is. Photo taken 1-15-22

There was some speculation about BNSF SD9 No. 1552 going to Stockton in this thread from August of last year.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,5309182,page=1

It seems the rumor was true as BNSF 1552 is billed to CCT in Stockton. I don't know anything else, I just stumbled on it. AFAIK, 1552 was originally a CB&Q SD9. Quite a surprise seeing it in what is usually the domain of modern GEs and EMDs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 10:28 by trainjunkie.

Date: 01/16/22 09:38
Re: Six axle for CCT
Author: fbe

There is no better switch engine than an SD9. With 6 powered axles they can pull long cuts of heave cars a with 24 brake shoes they can stop whatever you couple into it.  They won't go into the tight curves of some yard tracks but there will be 4 axle switchers around for that.

Date: 01/16/22 09:59
Author: Evan_Werkema

fbe Wrote:

> There is no better switch engine than an SD9. With
> 6 powered axles they can pull long cuts of heave
> cars a with 24 brake shoes they can stop whatever
> you couple into it.  

Doesn't look like BNSF 1552 is set up with two brake shoes per wheel anymore. 

Wonder if it CCT is the actual buyer, or if this is a DieselMotive acquisition that will only be stored on CCT.

Date: 01/16/22 10:29

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if it CCT is the actual buyer, or if this
> is a DieselMotive acquisition that will only be
> stored on CCT.

Good point Evan. I forgot about them setting up shop in Stockton. Might be for a different customer or a future project.

Date: 01/16/22 10:31
Author: fbe

With only one brake shoe per wheel this is sign the unit is now equipped with composition brake shoes operating at 72 psi.

Date: 01/16/22 10:34
Author: callum_out

What was really interesting was that the unit has been listed as LUGO suggesting that it was still an
active roster unit, cool to see it saved!

Out 

Date: 01/16/22 11:24
Author: ShortlinesUSA

1552 was acquired by Dieselmotive.  I have no idea of any plans for it once there.

Mike Derrick

Date: 01/16/22 13:19
Author: texchief1

Neat shot!  Haven't seen a photo of one of those before.

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 01/16/22 13:54
Author: SD45X

Think it was one of the SD9-3 upgrades. Has the late cab, noted brake shoe upgrade and anticlimber pilot. 645E insides as well.

Date: 01/16/22 17:29

It was hence it's semi-active status.

Out 

Date: 01/16/22 18:59
Author: Pacific5th

I ran a few of these SD9-3's. Both conventional and remote. I was never impressed with the stopping power.

Date: 01/16/22 20:14
Author: MP555

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was really interesting was that the unit has
> been listed as LUGO

BNSF 1551 is the LUGO SD9-3.

Date: 01/16/22 20:21

We looked it up one night and at the time 1552 was listed as "LUGO" though that was mid last year.

Out 

Date: 01/17/22 09:42

Just a heads-up. 1552 is the 4th-out unit on what appears to be a H-BARSTO sitting on the Mojave connector in Barstow this morning. Should be on its way to Bakersfield and points west very soon. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds