Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sandown Junction, Denver Colorado on the UP/CRIP

Date: 02/15/22 21:00
Sandown Junction, Denver Colorado on the UP/CRIP
Author: superfleet

At one time I had heard that there was a discussion on whether to rebuild the Sandown Junction connection in Denver where the erstwhile Rock Island branched off and headed to its' facilities; I noticed on Google Earth that there is constuction activity on Interstate 70, is there anything rail-related stirring there?  

Still missing the Rock Island, not knowing what might be moving there.

thanks,

Dan in Wichita, KS

Date: 02/15/22 21:51
Re: Sandown Junction, Denver Colorado on the UP/CRIP
Author: dan

tracks still don't go thru, but with 70 rebuild they did leave room for it to go thru, should that ever be wanted.  They rebuilt bridges 

they still switch under 70but that is where the gap of no track goes on for 2500 feet or so to the track that diverges at sandown , they should buy those properties when they become available, hotel and yellow cab lot,  should the governments want to make that move, UP KP traffic is light

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/22 23:22 by dan.

Date: 02/16/22 06:20
Author: rrpreservation

My understanding was the UP didn't rebuild it due to water issues that occurred under certain circumstances.

Of course, as mentioned, traffic also dropped off and the need for it was no longer there.

Date: 02/16/22 07:49
Author: superfleet

Thanks folks, I thought it looked like they planned ahead with that robust I-70 bridge construction.  Perhaps someday, probably not in my lifetime.

Unlike what CDOT did in Limon with the bridge over the Rock Island right-of-way, once the railroad was gone they took out the bridge because the Rock Island ROW will undoubtedly never be needed again.

Dan in Wichita
life member, CRRM

Date: 02/16/22 09:00
Author: dan

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding was the UP didn't rebuild it due
> to water issues that occurred under certain
> circumstances.
>
> Of course, as mentioned, traffic also dropped off
> and the need for it was no longer there.

if RTD would have paid for it i think they would have

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds