Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Spokane Construction Project Updates

Date: 05/16/22 04:11
Spokane Construction Project Updates
Author: funnelfan

After the 2022 Skyfest Airshow at Fairchild Air Force Base west of Spokane, I went to some nearby construction projects related to the shortline railroad I work for the check on progress. Heavy rains in the past two months have slowed the progress. On April 1st, Washington State snowpack was just 80% of normal, and now it's 129% of normal. Lower areas have been getting that as rain. Spokane is also setting a new record for how long into the new year it takes to reach a high of 70. The past record was May 16th, and that will be easily broken this year as highs are still being forecasted in the 50's. Today was one of the warmest days so far at 65 degrees, but the highs are expected to be in the 50's or low 60's most of the week, and nothing even close to 70 through the end of the month! The extra rain is curing the ills of two dry winters, and the wheat farmers are expecting a bumper crop now.
The big project is the Spokane Transload Facility being constructed between Fairchild AFB and the Spokane International Airport. It's going to be a truck to rail transload. This is phase 2 of the project, and phase 3 will see the length of the transload extended to about double with a balloon track put on the end.

1. Transload area soon to be paved.

2. H&H Railroad Construction Equipment

3. Tamper at the end of the track currently. Parts for the track bumper and switch stand are off to the side.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/16/22 04:14
Re: Spokane Construction Project Updates

4. Regulator on the Transload Tracks.

5. Entrance to the new facility off Craig Rd.

6. Switch being cut in for the lead to the Transload Facility that curves off to the right.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/16/22 04:27

One project that is being delayed somewhat due to soft ground conditions is the Washington Eastern RR shop complex going in at Four Lakes. This will solve a number of issues for the railroad and should be completed to a degree by summer. It will consist of three spurs, one is a setout track, another will be a car RIP track and the one to the right will be the locomotive repair and service track.

7. Materials for the project are in place, grading is done, and roadbed work should start shortly.

8. The tracks have been staked out. I highlighted the route of the spurs.

There will also be a project starting shortly to rearrange the outdated tracks in Davenport, WA so trains don't tie up the town for over and hour while trying to make a pickup there.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/16/22 04:29

Here are some bonus airshow pics, since I'm sure people would be interested in them. More of them on my facebook page.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 05/16/22 05:13
OT- B-29 Superfortress named DOC
Author: cozephyr

Thanks, Ted, for update on Spokane construction projects and a look at the air show.  I'm glad you shared your encounter with Wichita, KS, based B-29 Superfortress named DOC.  Boy, that plane sure is getting around this year-!

These images were taken at Centennial Airport, Englewood, Colorado, 8 May 2022.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/22 05:14 by cozephyr.

Date: 05/16/22 07:00
Re: OT- B-29 Superfortress named DOC
Author: cjvrr

Concrete ties in the legs, and wood ties in the turnouts.

Will the concrete ties on the yard legs be paved over?

Date: 05/16/22 08:16
Author: atsf121

Interesting construction photos, and I loved the B-29 photos!

Date: 05/16/22 09:47
Author: Ritzville

Very intereesting construction project update Ted, along with the airplain pictures!

Larry

Date: 05/16/22 10:12
Author: rrpreservation

Great shots all around!! Thank you for sharing your photos!!

Date: 05/16/22 15:36
Author: NWRail

I love the roar of big radial engines!

Date: 05/16/22 15:58
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics...

Date: 05/16/22 18:28
Author: BuddPullman

Terrific photos.

A B-29 that had crashed into Lake Meade, has been revealed by the dropping water level.   I believe the report said it had crashed in 1948?

Date: 05/17/22 10:05
Author: spider1319

Thank you for the well done report and pics.Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3403 seconds