Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Warbonnet Wednesday: far from home?

Date: 05/18/22 09:47
Warbonnet Wednesday: far from home?
Author: santafe199

In March of ’12 I was on a routine look-see in my 2nd hometown of Abilene, KS when I ran across some fairly clean Red & Silver. BNSF 757 was pointing a unit tank train, stopped at the usual Jeep Rd staging point. This is where UP trains will send the conductor on ahead to line up the necessary switches at SA Jct & West Abilene to get back on their own rails. This is also where BNSF will occasionally change crews on trains headed for Nebraska.

Finding some good looking Red & Silver on a sunny day was like snagging the brass ring. My lazy day just became an extended chase up into points unknown! For an intimate look at a fun and very productive day: ( ...just another day in OZ (pt.1) (trainorders.com) ) ( ...just another day in OZ (pt.2) (trainorders.com) ) .

1. That’s BNSF 757 in Santa Fe Warbonnet paint framed by the old BN (nee CB&Q?) station sign at Bostwick, NE. It was the end of an epic chase, but my photo safari was far from over on this March 14, 2012.

Thanks for squinting!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 05/18/22 10:02
Re: Warbonnet Wednesday: far from home?
Author: texchief1

Great shot, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 05/18/22 10:05
Author: zaltwsp7

Absolutely beautiful photo Lance!

- Andy

Date: 05/18/22 10:54
Author: katyrail

There was a lot of old rail on that territory! The 757 was a regular too, it was in charge of a grain train at Red Cloud 6-2012. 

Date: 05/18/22 11:05
Author: retcsxcfm

Lance,
There is a Bostwick,just south of Green Cove Springs
in Florida on the exACL route.

Uncle Joe

Date: 05/18/22 12:31
Author: santafe199

katyrail Wrote: > ... There was a lot of old rail on that territory!
Not too surprising. I didn't last very long chasing that train, even though it was all 10 MPH. As I mentioned in my return PM I was s-l-o-w-l-y getting a lot further away from home turf. Plus, it didn't help being in brand-new, completely unknown territory. On the other hand, I'd love to have seen it in the old CB&Q days... :^)

retcsxcfm Wrote: > ... There is a Bostwick ... in Florida ...
I'll bet Bostwick is probably a semi-common name. Even so, it's kinda cool to make a connection between Florida & Husker Nation...  ;^)

Lance

Date: 05/20/22 05:16
Author: atsfer

Warbonnet and the elevator shot is really good...Gary Rich would have loved that one for sure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.09 seconds