Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Glorious Western Montana

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/18/22 12:58
Glorious Western Montana
Author: rbenko

Early in April, my brother Steve (TO handle stevelv) and I took a week-long trip to western Montana.  For me it was the first time in Montana besides a brief toe-dip in 1979 on a family trip to Yellowstone NP.  Of course our main objective was to capture Montana Rail Link action before it becomes yet another fallen flag, with a secondary target being the Izaak Walton Inn at Essex (and Marias Pass) on BNSF's ex-GN line skirting Glacier National Park.

On the MRL, we concentrated on Mullan Pass near Helena, and (of course) capturing the Gas Local between Missoula and Thompson Falls on MRL's 4th and 10th sub.  As can be imagined, the weather was pretty variable, ranging from beautiful sunshine and temps in the high sixties, all the way down to steady snow and temps in the teens.  However the weather, no matter how abysmal, could not dampen my delight with the absolutely gorgeous scenery all around.  Additionally, it's always a fantastic time when I get to hang with my bro for a week - lots of interesting conversations and many laughs (and beers!) during the dead times, and our days always ended with a great meal (and usually more beers and/or wine!).

So without further ado, here's a sort-of top-10 list of my better efforts from the trip.  I also took video when the occasion presented itself (I posted one a while back) some of which I hope to post in the near future.  There's a lot more from the trip on my SmugMug website, all in glorious hi-resolution - if interested, please point and click your mouse on the following:  (https://rbenkovitz.smugmug.com/Trains/Montana-April-2022/)

1)  On 4/7, we captured an MRL local out of Helena delivering coal to the Ash Grove Montana City cement plant

2)  The next day (4/8), a BNSF oil train starts up from Helena Junction with the typical four-pack of MRL SD70s lending a hand mid-train 

Date: 05/18/22 12:58
Re: Glorious Western Montana

3)  We followed this same train west, capturing him at Milltown, just east of Missoula

4)  On 4/9, the MRL morning gas local heads west at Weeksville on MRL's 4th sub.  Brother Steve observes and photographs from street level

Date: 05/18/22 12:59

5)  Same train coming back to Missoula, this time skirting the Flathead River at Perma on the MRL 10th sub

6)  Later that day, MRL sent a pair of SD70s up from Missoula to pick up some stored oil tank cars on the Polson branch.  Here they are starting to pull the long string at Dixon

Date: 05/18/22 13:00

7)  On 4/11, #8, Amtrak's eastbound Empire Builder makes the snow fly at the summit of Marias Pass

8)  On 4/12, a westbound BNSF manifest flies over Java Creek and the Flathead River on the ex-GN mainline at Nimrod (Java East)

Date: 05/18/22 13:01

9)  On 4/13, MRL's morning gas local waits on the main as an empty BNSF grain train takes the siding under a classic NP cantilever signal bridge at Plains

10)  Our last day (4/14) was the best weather day of all, and we shot gigabytes of pixels on several trains, including (of course) the MRL gas local.  Here he (she?) is along the Flathead River between Perma and Dixon on MRL's 10th sub

Date: 05/18/22 13:01

Hope you enjoyed our trip through western Montana - thanks for viewing.

Rob Benkovitz
West Palm Beach, FL

Date: 05/18/22 13:11
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE series!

Larry

Date: 05/18/22 13:25
Author: cozephyr

Thanks, Rob, for sharing your Western Montana adventure-!  You sure covered some territory.  Great image variety.  You and your brother enjoyed an epic trip - memories that will last a life time-!

rbenko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope you enjoyed our trip through western Montana
> - thanks for viewing.
>
> Rob Benkovitz

Date: 05/18/22 13:37
Author: stevelv

Great shots brother.  Glad we made the trip before MRL becomes history.

Date: 05/18/22 13:50
Author: TheNavigator

Great set of images!
GK

Date: 05/18/22 13:55
Author: NDHolmes

Nice stuff, both of you.  Given me some inspiration on shots when I head up there next week.

Two questions since it's been years since I've been up on the MRL:
 - Is the day gas still out of Thompson at roughly 10am? 
 - Is there any pattern for when the Helena job runs down to the cement plant, or is it just as the customer needs?

Date: 05/18/22 14:34
Author: OSWishram

Glorious is the word, indeed.  Great images.  Thank you.  You must have truly had a wonderful trip.

Bob W.
KC

Date: 05/18/22 15:15
Author: krm152

MRL photos are absolutely awesome.   Thanks for your super photo posting.
ALLEN

Date: 05/18/22 16:09
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding bunch. What a great time with your bro.
JB

Date: 05/18/22 16:37
Author: TCnR

Good stuff. Good weather.
t4p.

Date: 05/18/22 17:05
Author: swaool

Excellent work Rob!  There are multiple images worthy of IOTD status in this group!

mike woodruff
spokane

Date: 05/18/22 18:09
Author: srman

Wonderful coverage of the MRL! 

Date: 05/19/22 05:52
Author: RGDave

Glad you guys made the trek!  It's a great railroad and will be missed.  Wonderful camera work and great coverage!

~Dave

Date: 05/19/22 06:33

Thanks for all the kind compliments.  Yes, it was a great trip, although we froze our decent-sized petuties off on a few of those days!  Even with the demise of the MRL, I need to plan a trip back there soon - lots to see and do!

As a reminder - if you didn't see it above, I have a much more complete photo blog of the trip on my SmugMug site, all in wonderful hi-res:  Montana on SmugMug

Date: 05/19/22 06:53
Author: monaddave

NDHolmes Wrote:
<<  - Is the day gas still out of Thompson at roughly 10am? >>

Usually, but with the recent track gang windows and resulting no opposing traffic and current low car countg they have been getitng done sooner. The gangs are now around Paradise and working east.

>>Is there any pattern for when the Helena job runs down to the cement plant, or is it just as the customer needs?<<

Usually the afternoon switch on weekdays. Don't know if it's daily.
Dave

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds