Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > EMDX SD70ACeT4 3008 at the TTC Intercahnge today

Date: 05/19/22 16:32
EMDX SD70ACeT4 3008 at the TTC Intercahnge today
Author: ns2557

I have been following the moves of this unit since it left Progress Rail at Muncie Ind. Tho the unit itself took more than the usual amount of time to get here, it finally did so today, a mere month plus time wise. Not really planning on getting out to catch it on the move from Pueblo on the BNSF on it's move east, I did keep it in mind. My daughter now comes into play on the adventure. She had to go to Pueblo and get some remnants leftover from a fire that destroyed her home earlier this year plus a few other things along the way. I, as usual, would not for go an opportunity to drop by the BNSF/UP Yards or any other reasons to get shots. Getting word that this one was actually headed east to the TTC this am, I thought, just by chance, that it may still be sitting on the interchange to the TTC off the BNSF at Avondale Co. So, I told her, we were going to make a short diversion and go check things out at Avondale. Low and behold, there it sat, waiting for the folks at the TTC to come out and pick it up. 

Upon my arrival at the interchange, we saw where it was at and drove over to perhaps get a few long lens shots on it while it sat waiting for the gents at the TTC to come out and pick it up. Good friend cozephyr was sitting there. After some small talk and discussing whether or not the fine gents from the US Army Pueblo Chemical Depot would pay us a visit , an employee of the TTC came out to do an inspection of the unit before it disappeared back into the TTC. Made some more small talk with him about the unit. The conversation eventually led to me asking whether or not he would mind having some company along the way in order to perhaps grab some shots of the unit. He had no issues, other than we have a Hard Hat and Hi Viz vest to put on. While I had the vest, I did not have the hard hat. Here is where cozephyr came into action. He had the hard hat and a vest. So, seizing upon the moment he and I both agreed that he would follow along with the gent from the TTC and get whatever shots he could get.

The results shown here are what he got. I asked him if I gave him my camera and that of the better half, msns2557, could he grab some shots for me. As you can see here, he did, with great results. I cannot express my thankfulness of a fellow fan, taking anothers equipment and getting shots while being the only one of the 2 of us, properly equipped to follow along. Sometimes it is these types of situations that present themselves along the way, where help is given in the form that one see's here. Fantastic job Chip. Couldn't ask for anything greater than what ya managed in the short time you were able to accompany the gent from TTC to get these shots. My Hats are Off to you.
 So here is the EMDX SD70ACe T4 3008 iof the Eithad Rwy of the UAE before disappearing into the confines of the DOT's TTC. Sure is a beefy looking unit.

Perhaps one of these days, I will be able to do likewise for another fan in a similar situation. Knowing what each other likes as far as shots by seeing what the other shoots if they share their results, sure helps alot. Hope ya enjoy these shots, as I know, I will never again be able to travel overseas and get the shots in their own territory. So, yes, perhaps a once in a life time chance to get them.  Y'all take care. Be well. And remember, that other guy you know standing beside you, maybe able to help in any situation that presents itself. It is what I enjoy perhaps the most of our hobby. Being able to help when I can.  Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 16:35 by ns2557.

Date: 05/19/22 16:43
Re: EMDX SD70ACeT4 3008 at the TTC Intercahnge today
Author: PHall

Any idea what the orange box above the lead axle is all about?

Date: 05/19/22 16:51
Author: oneblock

Note the sand plows on the snow plow. I pulled that unit out at Muncie at least two months ago! So much for PSR!

Date: 05/19/22 16:57

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any idea what the orange box above the lead axle
> is all about?

Cant really see what is on the box clearly, but it appears to have some heavy duty electrical cables attached to both sides. Perhaps someone else in the know can answer that. But here si a somewhat closer shot of said box.  Ben

Date: 05/19/22 17:03

oneblock Wrote:
> Note the sand plows on the snow plow. I pulled
> that unit out at Muncie at least two months ago!
> So much for PSR!
>  

Yeah, I agree with that statement. Seemed to be No Hurry to get this unit here. It actually spent from last Monady, May 9 til this am, to actually get over to the interchange at Avondale. And that, distance wise is no more than at the most 20 miles.The trip across from Muncie, took quite awhile and the unit visited parts of the BNSF System along the way, that were soooo... out of route, it just makes one wonder the WHO is running the BNSF. And it sat in the BNSF Pueblo Yard on a yard track for that entire time. Just gotta shake my head anymore now days. Ben

Date: 05/19/22 17:11
Author: TTownTrains

What's the function of the big box on the top rear of the carbody?  Does it have something to do with the dynamic brakes?

Thanks.

Bill G.

Date: 05/19/22 17:19

TTownTrains Wrote:
> What's the function of the big box on the top rear
> of the carbody?  Does it have something to do
> with the dynamic brakes?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill G.

Air Filtration. Mucho sand over in dem der parts of the world, that being the United Arab Emirates. Ben

Date: 05/19/22 17:37

ns2557 Wrote:
> TTownTrains Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What's the function of the big box on the top
> rear
> > of the carbody?  Does it have something to do
> > with the dynamic brakes?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Bill G.
>
> Air Filtration. Mucho sand over in dem der parts
> of the world, that being the United Arab Emirates.
> Ben

And that sand gets into everything!  It's about the consistancy of brown talcum powder.

Date: 05/19/22 17:40

PHall Wrote:
> ns2557 Wrote:
> -----
> > TTownTrains Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > What's the function of the big box on the top
> > rear
> > > of the carbody?  Does it have something to
> do
> > > with the dynamic brakes?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Bill G.
> >
> > Air Filtration. Mucho sand over in dem der
> parts
> > of the world, that being the United Arab
> Emirates.
> > Ben
>
> And that sand gets into everything!  It's about
> the consistency of brown talcum powder.

Hope one can differentiate the difference between Brown Talcum Powder, other Brown Substances and sand. It gets into every crevice it can. Speaking from experience while in the US Navy serving in that area of the world. Ben

Date: 05/19/22 20:45
Author: SD45X

What you can't see is the three plows it has. Third set mount to the truck frame and hydraulic ram pushes it down. Second is a normal plow and first is that pre plow. 

Date: 05/19/22 21:46

SD45X Wrote:
> What you can't see is the three plows it has.
> Third set mount to the truck frame and hydraulic
> ram pushes it down. Second is a normal plow and
> first is that pre plow. 

Kinda a "sand flanger" blade.

Date: 05/19/22 22:10
Author: MitchGDRMCo

SD70ACS, not SD70ACe-T4.

Date: 05/20/22 02:37
Author: CPR_4000

Gonna guess the d/b air filter took up space where the rear sandbox was, so they added two little Euro-style sandboxes on the running board for the rear truck.

Date: 05/20/22 08:34
Author: coach

Cast trucks, not fabricated?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0946 seconds