Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Eclipse... as it wasn't!

Date: 05/19/22 17:44
The Eclipse... as it wasn't!
Author: santafe199

Phun with Photoshop...

Plan A. For the total lunar eclipse this past Sunday evening I had thoughts of trying to find a spot where I could place train activity in the foreground while the eclipse was going on up in the heavens. I ran through a mental checklist of spots on both BNSF & UP mainlines within a reasonable distance of home. But it became apparent the celestial mechanics of the eclipse would make that impossible. It wouldn’t begin until after 8 PM, which meant the its position in the sky would be too high to realistically include any train activity. Especially with the long telephoto setting needed to “shoot the moon” while the eclipse was in progress.

Enter plan B. I decided I would save gas (currently $4+/gallon) and stay home, using the Union Pacific depot here in Manhattan. It has been refurbished and is leased out for weddings, dinners & all sorts of other functions. With the layout of its parking lot I had to use wide angles for the depot, shooting from its former street side. And I was in perfect position to use a 300mm telephoto setting for the actual eclipse in the sky above it. I shot over 120 images total, ending up with an even 30 keepers.

As I sat through the long span of the eclipse I had my home-recorded library of 70s ~ 80s era music CDs to keep me company. It occurred to me too late that I should have brought along my original CD of the 1973 Pink Floyd classic: “Dark Side of the Moon”...

1. UP depot @ 10:02 PM while experimenting with various flash settings. And the real moon. This image was actually posted a couple of days ago. But this one is re-cropped & re-worked.

2. Here’s Mr Luna @ approximately 9:57 PM, transposed onto the image above. A lot more “phun” to look at, but totally bogus. (Boy, talk about sky replacement... ;^)
Photos taken Manhattan, KS on May 15, 2022.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 18:20 by santafe199.

Date: 05/19/22 18:03
Re: The Eclipse... as it wasn't!
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I'd be interested to know your aperture and time, and what kind of equipment you used.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 18:05 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/19/22 18:32

wabash2800 Wrote: > ...  aperture and time, and what kind of equipment you used ...

Brace yourself!

The depot (both base images) was shot with my AF S Nikkor 18 ~ 140 zoom @ 24mm with my Nikon D7100's pop-up- flash: 1/30th of a second @ f3.8 (automatic).

The moon was shot handheld with my AF S Nikkor 70 ~ 300 zoom @ 300mm. 1/500th of a second @ f5.6 (shutter priority).

No foolin'...

Date: 05/19/22 18:35
Author: atsf121

Nice choice of music

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/19/22 18:42
Author: Milw_E70

DSOTM was my choice of music on the drive home while watching the eclipse...had clear skies down here

Date: 05/19/22 19:06
Author: monaddave

Did I miss the IOS setting some where?? 
Dave

Date: 05/19/22 19:39

monaddave Wrote: > ... Did I miss the IOS setting some where?? 

Do yuo maen ISO??? I awlays ues a steting of 200 IOS, unles I em realy looow on lihgt. Than I go a bite hihger...

;^)

Added: I could have just as easily shot the evening @ 100 ISO, but 200 has been my standard for years...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 19:44 by santafe199.

Date: 05/20/22 14:14
Author: SD45X

LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds