Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Coast Route CTC

Date: 05/19/22 23:10
UP Coast Route CTC
Author: stash

I noticed new signals and power switches at numerous places. Like Honda, Sudden, etc. But I'm doubting CTC has been implemented at this point even with the new switches and signals.

Can somebody explain this to me?

Stash

Date: 05/19/22 23:40
Re: UP Coast Route CTC
Author: SLORailfanning

Santa Barbara Sub Projects Overview:

Targeted new capacity, strengthen, O&M maintenance

1. Infrastructure
• Replace 2 bridges (San Antonio Creek is done, Honda should be next)

• Replace Older Rail

• New Ties

• Ongoing Surfacing, other MOW

° Slope Stabilization and more communication towers

2. Corridor Improvements
• CTC 105 Miles and Power/Upgrade sidings: Guadalupe south finished at the end of 2021 with Guadalupe to SLO due to be finished this year

• Capacity Project Moorpark-Santa Barbara for 2nd Surfliner round trip

• Expand Surfliner layover facility (SLOs current AmPen should be expanded by 200ft this year, with the grand plan to rebuild a part of the SP yard for Amtrak layovers)

3. Ongoing Maintenance: Engineering Gang, equipment and dispatching

Other noteworthy things:

Callendar siding extended to 9,000ft

The Honda bridge replacement got delayed until 2025 at the latest. When the replacement does happen, the Guadalupe hauler cars will most likely be routed over Cuesta Pass like in August 2021 for the San Antonio Creek Project

If you see anything on Facebook or groups about freight returning to the coastline, it is most likely bogus or misunderstood. A few years ago there was talk from a manager about freights coming soon but there hasn't been anything since then. Tunnels would have to be notched for intermodal's which I can almost guarantee won't happen within the decade. SLO has no crew base and everything is extra board, no helper service will return in the foreseeable future.

There are still CTC searchlights at the control points of Chorro, Serrano and S. Santa Margarita

CTC is in service in the switches you mentioned, I hope I was able to answer all questions you might have.

Date: 05/20/22 06:54
Author: timz

Callendar, Honda and Sudden are all working CTC sidings now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/22 06:54 by timz.

Date: 05/20/22 09:45
Author: SLORailfanning

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Callendar, Honda and Sudden are all working CTC
> sidings now?

Yes, They should be unless something changed.

Date: 05/20/22 16:36
Author: ble692

CTC has been extended to the north switch of Honda at CP CO303. TWC/ABS remains between CP CO251 South Luis Obispo and CP CO303.

Date: 05/20/22 17:38
Author: SouthWestRailCams

ble692 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CTC has been extended to the north switch of Honda
> at CP CO303. TWC/ABS remains between CP CO251
> South Luis Obispo and CP CO303.

However they may be on the protocal that can't be monitored at this time...

Jeff

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 05/20/22 22:14
Author: pdt

Ive got the SLOCOG "improvements" map here aomewhere.  Slightly over half the sidings between Gaviota and Guadalupe will have power switches and full CTC.  The others will have electrically locked hand throws, within CTC territory. 

As mentioned the CTC  is in effect down to about MP 300, with 300 to 251 still twc.   Part 1 of this is Goleta to Guadalupe, where there is the most traffic.   Part 2 is Guadalupe to SLO.

Also part of the plan is a 3rd surfliner to SLO...a new Amtk maintenance facility in SLO, and an Amtk-CA train from SLO to SNS and north.
Initial proposed timetables have a "Coast Daylight" that runs  LAUS-SFO.  Also possible would be an early am departure north from SLO, and an evening arrival back in SLO. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds