Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The Nevada Northern, From Above. Part 5: Shafter, NV

Date: 06/07/22 05:11
The Nevada Northern, From Above. Part 5: Shafter, NV
Author: billmeeker

Shafter, Nevada, MP 18.7, was the connection with the Western Pacific Railroad (and later Union Pacific Railroad).  A diamond was located here allowing the tracks to continue on toward Cobre and the connection with the Southern Pacific.  After the diamond was removed in the late 1980’s, this is as far as the NN could or would go.

In the first photo, we look south toward Currie and Ely.  The remaining stored cars are stuffed into the few NN yard tracks.  The diamond was in the immediate foreground.

The second photo looks north across where the diamond was, with the Union Pacific mainline stretching off toward Silver Zone Pass at right.

The last photo looks north toward Cobre.  This section of track has not seen a train since 1983.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/22 06:31 by billmeeker.

Date: 06/07/22 08:23
Re: The Nevada Northern, From Above. Part 4: Shafter, NV
Author: mococomike

Great series

Date: 06/07/22 08:30
Author: mapboy

The surveyors and track builders must have felt it was relatively easy work sighting and constructing these two railroads in this valley!

mapboy

Date: 06/07/22 11:50
Author: spider1319

I appreciate the fine coverage.Thanks.Bill Webb

Date: 06/08/22 13:53
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics...

Date: 06/08/22 14:01
Author: goldcoast

Wonderful series.

Date: 06/12/22 07:04
Author: brianholl

I have drivin from I-80 to this point in winter wish I had this (photos)  thank you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0912 seconds