Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Weird weather? Keep shooting!

Date: 06/16/22 19:35
Weird weather? Keep shooting!
Author: santafe199

Had a busy day? Shoot lots of train, didja? What if the weather starts getting a bit goofy... Do you head for home? NO!!!! You’re in Kansas dontcha know. The real interesting stuff might be just ahead... ;^)

1. BNSF 6806 is westbound at the Rd “D” crossing east of the old Santa Fe TT location called Plymouth, KS.
Photo date: June 15, 2022 (8:45 PM).

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 06/16/22 20:09
Re: Weird weather? Keep shooting!
Author: radar

Please be careful about hazardous weather.  Don't get struck by lightning or hoovered up by a tornado just for a train photo.

Date: 06/16/22 20:21

...oops, here come the soapboxers

Date: 06/16/22 20:27
Author: Ritzville

Nice weather shot!!

Larry

Date: 06/16/22 20:29
Author: DaveL

Now,now....If we all thought that you (of all people) was old enough to know better and something bad happened to you,
just think how badly we all would feel!!

Date: 06/16/22 20:35
Author: SPBrooklyn

And if some thing should happen we wouldn’t have the great string of photos with well written narrative on the chase.
BTW I miss the low light wars.
Thanks, Lance, for the photos and for braving the elements.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/22 21:33

DaveL Wrote: > ... old enough to know better ...

Old enough to know better than WHAT???? I had been out shooting since just after 6 AM, and put in a very long, very full day. That morning, was I suppose to think: OH God. oh my, 12 hours from now it might cloud over? 12 hours from now some heavy clouds might form and pour down a gully-washer? 15 hours from now some weird sky color might evolve? Is that how it works. According to your statement the correct thing is that I was supposed to "know better" (whatever the sam-hello that means). Should I have squawked like a chicken and never left the friggin' house. Because "Oh God, oh my"... some abnormal weather might develop SEVERAL HOURS LATER? Is that how to be a railfan photographer?? Is that how YOU do your railfanning? With your policy to "know better" how does anyone ever leave their house???? Maybe "radar" meant well. But there was no comment at all about the image. He just jumped right up and sounded off, without knowing anything about my situation. I wonder what he would say to a tornado-chaser?? If he did mean well in this case, then I would think there would maybe be a passing comment about a heavily Photoshopped image with odd color in the sky. That's just common sense, to me. But I obviously don't any know better...

I was out ALL DAY and around suppertime I happen to get rained on while in Emporia. The rain let up and I went east of town for some possible sunset color. When that didn't look possible I called it a day and made the motions for the drive home. Then the sky got very interesting from behind the camera, so I continued shooting trains west of Emporia. And then while I was out there this weird sky/cloud color came up. I'm 67 years old, born & raised in Kansas. I've seen weather squalls a thousand times in my life. And I SHARED a resulting RAILFAN image on a RAILFAN WEBSITE that got immediately hijacked in a completely unnecessary direction. And it really gets old...

countodown to AH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/22 21:35 by santafe199.

Date: 06/16/22 21:50
Author: TAW

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...oops, here come the soapboxers

Let's see. When you worked in train service, you never ever had to work outside in a storm, right? The trainmaster told you the weather was too nasty to work outside whenever it started raining. Then you go and do something like take train pictures out in the weather.

TAW

Date: 06/17/22 09:29
Author: EL833

This kind of photo works for me Lance. You know the old saying, "F8 and be there"....a photo doesn't happen if you run at the first hint of anything other than powder puff weather. Some of our best images are based on less than ideal weather conditions and light. A true photographer will make any condition work, see above example :)

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 06/17/22 14:21
Author: texchief1

Like the shot, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 06/18/22 08:55

EL833 Wrote: > ... Some of our best images are based on less than ideal weather conditions ...
TAW Wrote: > ...  in train service, you never ever had to work outside in a storm, right? ...

Thanks guys! It's good to know there is photo experience & common sense here on TO instead of the Chicken Little stuff posted earlier (OH MY OH MY, THE SKY IS FALLING).

Lance

Date: 06/20/22 16:07
Author: ns1000

Cool pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds