Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Mt. Rainier Monday

Date: 08/02/22 00:08
A Mt. Rainier Monday
Author: DelMonteX

After finishing some work in Kent, I took advantage of the cooler, but still sunny weather to catch some action on the railroads in the area. 

Kent is a suburb south of Seattle, with the UP and BNSF Seattle Subs running north/south through "downtown". 

1) at the south end is CP Willis and just south of that is a flock of geese.  Not sure who paid for this installation, but years ago when it looked a lot better, I tried to use it as a photo element.  From the ground it didn't work very well.  From the air?  
2) just a little further south is the crossing of the infamous Green River, with Mt Rainier as a background element. 
3) moving further south to Auburn.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/22 00:22 by DelMonteX.

Date: 08/02/22 00:12
Re: A Mt. Rainier Monday

4) after the previous Sounder, a BNSF train asked for use of the Stampede Wye as headroom. 
5) moving still further south to Sumner, a north bound loaded coal train approaches the detector at MP 26.4
6) MP 26.4 was the meeting point for the head ends of the coal train and the last Sounder of the day,  I caught the tail end meet. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 08/02/22 00:16

7)  in Sumner proper, a southbound BNSF freight rolls through town.  I believe this was Job 253, could be wrong.
8)  on the other side of town the OSEGL (Garbage) train finally shows up on the UP Seattle Sub. 
9)  after just missing a BNSF freight here at Steilacoom and Bridge 14, I waited, and waited and just before the light completely failed, the OSEGL showed up. 

Mt Rainier managed to keep it's Lenticular cap for all it's photos.

Pretty good day!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/22 00:17 by DelMonteX.

Date: 08/02/22 06:22
Author: Bob3985

Great photos Steve.
Drones sure have changed the face of railfan photography.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/02/22 06:30
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding bunch.
JB

Date: 08/02/22 08:05
Author: Gonut1

What Bob and 3rd said. I noticed the cap on Mount Ranier, interesting.
Go

Date: 08/02/22 08:23
Author: mapboy

Good photos!  I see the Auburn roundhouse footprint is still visible in photos #3 and #4.

mapboy

Date: 08/02/22 09:42
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!!

Larry

Date: 08/02/22 09:43
Author: TAW

DelMonteX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 8)  on the other side of town the OSEGL (Garbage)
> train finally shows up on the UP Seattle Sub. 

That's funny, at least for me. When I moved to Mountlake Terrace, the garbage trucks, predecessor to Waste Management, had a huge seagull painted on the side, which seemed really appropriate. Wednesdays were the day the seagull would come for your garbage.

TAW

Date: 08/02/22 11:18
Author: Railpax71

The cap on Rainier is called a lenticular cloud.  It was a frequent feature of Rainier when I lived in the northwest and I see them multi layers on Fujiyama here. Warm moist air hitting the mountain cools as it rises and forms the cloud in the shape of a lens.

Date: 08/02/22 17:13

Thanks for the comments.   Glad the photos are appreciated!

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 08/03/22 16:35
Author: NWRail

Great pictures.  I didn't think you were allowed to fly a drone near the Auburn yard, due to the proximity of the Auburn airport.

Date: 08/03/22 18:27
Author: ns1000

Great stuff..!!  Thanks for posting.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0785 seconds