Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Lineup Truckee

Date: 08/11/22 23:21
UP Lineup Truckee
Author: joeycarroll

I will be visiting the Truckee area tomorrow, could someone provide a lineup for Truckee and possibly Portola? I simply don’t trust ACTS anymore…

Date: 08/12/22 08:14
Re: UP Lineup Truckee
Author: stevenlsilva

In Truckee good restaurant 1882

Date: 08/12/22 12:07
Author: donner_dude1

joeycarroll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will be visiting the Truckee area tomorrow,
> could someone provide a lineup for Truckee and
> possibly Portola? I simply don’t trust ACTS
> anymore…

ATCS is only active from Roseville to Auburn now.

Your best bet is to check if Amtrak 5 & 6 are ontime and adjust accordingly.

The Eastbound Z train typically leaves Roseville 730- 830am range

UP is doing a signicifcant tie replacement project on The Roseville Sub this summer. You may have long stretches of quiet time. I saw a short trainload of cement ties heading to Truckee on Tuesday. 

The only potential W/b's are the ZG2LT (morning in Truckee) and MGRRV.  

There's a good burger place in downtown Truckee next to the West Truckee Crossovers (Burger Me). 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/22 12:10 by donner_dude1.

Date: 08/12/22 12:14
Author: SF2900

Yesterday (Thursday) I left Roseville at 8:30am driving up I-80 to Truckee and passed 3 or 4 eastbound trains along the way.

Date: 08/12/22 13:03
Author: broken_link

donner_dude1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only potential W/b's are the ZG2LT (morning in
> Truckee) and MGRRV.  

I also caught a westbound MSPRV several times in the evening while I was up there in June and July. I don't know what the deal is with this train, but I heard the crew refer to it as such several times on the radio while I was photographing it. I rarely manage to catch the BNSF trackage rights trains, but there are two per week each way as well, so in addition to AMTK 5 those are the only other westbounds. As Dan mentioned there are also work trains running this summer, so you might catch one of those going over the hill. (Note, I don't believe the ZG2LT isn't seen on the hill on Sunday's generally, as the ZG2OAB runs in its place originating on Fridays in Chicago. This train will have marine stacks on it in addition to domestic stacks. There also had been an IG2LT running from Chicago on Fridays as well, but I don't know if this is still the case.)

Given the loss of ATCS around Switch 9 to Shed 10, Shed 47 to East Truckee, and Reno to Sparks, there are limited options for getting a heads up on westbounds. Use a scanner, listen to RR Radio's Truckee feed, check the Truckee HD OnTap webcam, and you can check the NV DOT camera website. As Dan also mentioned, keeping tabs on AMTK 5 and 6 via the Track Your Train website can be helpful, as freights will often get held on either side of the single track areas between Switch 9 and Shed 10 or East Norden and Shed 47/Truckee. (WB freights often hold at Truckee if waiting so they can get a better run at the hill than starting at Shed 47.)

Sean

Date: 08/13/22 22:01
Author: oberhardt

There's an eastbound autorack that comes through late day as well - usually between 6 and 8 PM.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds