Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mental health assistance for railroaders?

Date: 09/01/22 10:47
Mental health assistance for railroaders?
Author: Lackawanna484

The Wall Street Journal has an article this morning about the growing recognition that woodlands firefighters need much greater assistance in managing the near constant stress of fighting fires. There are many similarities for railroaders.  Little opportunity for rest and recharge. Instead of a limited peak activity,  peak activity is now year 'round. Double overtime required.  Can't get time off. Family life suffers.  Federal wildlands firefighter positions are several hundred people short of acceptable, and burnout is expanding. Fires are emerging in places and times that used to be unusual.

While some employee assistance programs are available to full time firefighters, US Department of the Interior limits benefits so seasonal or temporary firefighters have been  excluded until this year. Employees say that the wait for counselors may be several weeks, and you won't get the same counselor again. And they don't understand the job and its stresses.  Local agencies like CalFire have seen calls to their emergency mental health hotline jump by 500% in under three years. The agency is seeking to send therapists into fire zones so they can see some of what firefighters see.

It's an interesting story, with many parallels to rail work.  Guys who see co-workers die or suffer serious injuries, drink themselves into oblivion, lose marriages and families, quit jobs they once enjoyed, etc.  But, the basic problem is the job has huge risks of injury or death, and places the employees under almost continuous stress. And gives them few alternatives for processing and survivng the anxiety.

One therapist notes in the comments section that talking to somebody isn't going to make a major difference if the individual has to go back into the situation that creates the anxiety, stress, etc. The job itself has to change, or the person has to leave it behind. Like a combat veteran who dreads the next deployment because of PTSD from a prior deployment.

(Paywall possible for people who have used up their free looks)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wildland-firefighters-face-mental-health-struggles-with-little-support-11662040800?mod=hp_lead_pos12

Date: 09/01/22 13:09
Re: Mental health assistance for railroaders?
Author: PHall

IIRC crews are offered counseling after they were involved in stuff like a grade crossing accident if they want it.

Date: 09/01/22 13:11
Author: Notch7

When I was a local chairman I had an inquiry about mental health coverage in the railroad insurance plan.  It existed, and was at that time administered by Aetna.  I recommended to take care in making sure the railroad had no knowledge of that personal problem.  I have seen the railroad hold people off account mental health.  Yet another pain we endured.

Date: 09/01/22 13:38
Author: DevalDragon

Notch7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a local chairman I had an inquiry about
> mental health coverage in the railroad insurance
> plan.  It existed, and was at that time
> administered by Aetna.  I recommended to take
> care in making sure the railroad had no knowledge
> of that personal problem.  I have seen the
> railroad hold people off account mental health. 
> Yet another pain we endured.

They will even medically disqualify people for using mental health benefits. So firing you without actually firing you.       

Date: 09/01/22 17:28
Author: MEKoch

An engineer I know took a 90 day leave from the railroad for a personal issue with his family.  When he returned, he was made to take a mental health exam and three months of counseling.  He was irritated, but had to go through to return to work.  

Date: 09/01/22 17:41
Author: TAW

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An engineer I know took a 90 day leave from the
> railroad for a personal issue with his family. 
> When he returned, he was made to take a mental
> health exam and three months of counseling.  He
> was irritated, but had to go through to return to
> work.  

But, of course, none of that for dealing with the effects of PSR.

TAW

Date: 09/02/22 06:03
Author: Lackawanna484

Completely different ways of dealing with experienced professionals who encounter issues on the job.

Sad.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/22 06:09
Author: Drknow

Yes. Where I work if you need to get physical or mental help for something, even if it is trivial or benign the Carrier will act like you are a danger to the Risk Takers that make the profits and you are considered a bigger drag on the company. To get back to work you will be drug through a kangaroo court of phone calls and endless FAX’s to people who will latter claim they never talked to you, that is if a human can ever be contacted.

This is all a part of the plan to make it difficult for employees to go back to work and earn money, therefore it teaches a lesson to the underlings that getting medical help will NOT be tolerated and it’s not in the best interest of employees taking care of their health or that of their families.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/02/22 08:36
Author: ns1000

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
------------------------------------
>
> One therapist notes in the comments section that
> talking to somebody isn't going to make a major
> difference if the individual has to go back into
> the situation that creates the anxiety, stress,
> etc. The job itself has to change, or the person
> has to leave it behind. Like a combat veteran who
> dreads the next deployment because of PTSD from a
> prior deployment.
>

The job is NOT going to change anytime soon, IF ever and is certainly NOT for everyone. There is a huge amount of stress that comes with it now dealing with things like "weed weasels" looking for the slightest infraction, watching multiple computer screens while doing your job, issues with your train consist, staying alert while suffering from sleep deprivation, etc. There is more I didn't list....

Posted from Android

Date: 09/03/22 08:54
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Under the RR health plan mental health is administrated by ABH. American Behavioral Health.  In my 50 year plus career had my share of crossing collisions and hitting tresspassers.  I never received one minute off of being involved in a critical icident.  A few years back was involved in a crossing collision and the Superintendent was nearby and stopped by  the scene.  I told him was traumatized and his answer was " get your ass back on the engine and finish your work !"  So much for compassion !

Date: 09/04/22 16:13
Author: sfbrkmn

I have brought the issue up w/ co-workers that what is not being discussed by the carriers is the fact many U.S. rail workers are facing emtional stress and even despression (this writer included) in relation to the workplace culture & eniviornment that is now upon the property. I do not know of other carriers, but within the past yr the orange & green responded on the serious issue (of which they likely look at is like erything else of being a "minor issue"). A notice was piu put basically telling all if you feel lousy to call this the posted phone number. Give me a break. Like if that is going to change the problem.
Sam 

Date: 09/05/22 05:03
Author: Drknow

Yep. Call a phone number cause we the Carrier love you, now you’re out of service cause you’re a danger to the company. Lots a luck getting back to work. Then when you do you can’t have a day off because, stuff.

Rinse, repeat.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2584 seconds