Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CCT Power Swap (2017)

Date: 09/04/22 10:18
CCT Power Swap (2017)
Author: NickWolters

With little fanfare in November 2016, Central California Traction's famous GP18 1790 turned its last wheel on the shortline's weekday-only turn between Stockton and Lodi. No. 1790 was tucked inside the interurban-era carbarn until the decision was made by management to bring the unit to the compact maintenance facility at the Port of Stockton (for many years, CCT has possessed the contract to switch cars on the Stockton Public Belt Railway).

A Traction Company crew was sent out to conduct a power swap, operating between the Port of Stockton and the carbarn on CCT's Central Valley Branch. For this action to go smoothly and according to plan, a BNSF pilot assisted the crew as CCT's trackage rights between the Port Lead and Mormon Yard were being put to use. In the end, CCT 1501 was placed on the Lodi side in exchange for CCT 1502 and CCT 1790. No. 1502 served as a substitute locomotive for two months following 1790's withdrawal from service.

The video clips featured show CCT (SW1500) 1503 and CCT (BL12CG) 1202 in Stockton heading southward down B Street and swinging onto the west leg of the wye, towing CCT 1502 and CCT 1790 to the Port of Stockton. Today, No. 1790 is off the CCT roster and is now privately owned, stored on a secure, secluded spur at the Port of Stockton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/22 10:21 by NickWolters.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/04/22 10:46
Re: CCT Power Swap (2017)
Author: ghemr

Thanks for posting this video as well as the others!

Date: 09/04/22 22:48
Author: Evan_Werkema

That's quite a mix of power!  The 1790 must be blushing from being called "famous" - look how red it is!  ;^)

Did I understand your description of a previous video correctly that CCT doesn't generally run down B St. to interchange with BNSF at Mormon Yard anymore, but rather that BNSF sends a yard job up this track to pick up the CCT interchange near the carbarn?

Also, this video is the first time I can recall seeing one of the BL12CG's outside the Port of Stockton area since they arrived.  Have you ever caught 1201 or 1202 working the line north of Stockton to Lodi?

Date: 09/05/22 07:08
Author: NickWolters

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's quite a mix of power!  The 1790 must be
> blushing from being called "famous" - look how red
> it is!  ;^)
>
> Did I understand your description of a previous
> video correctly that CCT doesn't generally run
> down B St. to interchange with BNSF at Mormon Yard
> anymore, but rather that BNSF sends a yard job up
> this track to pick up the CCT interchange near the
> carbarn?
>
> Also, this video is the first time I can recall
> seeing one of the BL12CG's outside the Port of
> Stockton area since they arrived.  Have you ever
> caught 1201 or 1202 working the line north of
> Stockton to Lodi?

That’s correct, for the last several years, the Lodi job has left its outbound train from Lodi on the main adjacent to the barn. Typically after dark, BNSF then rumbles up B St, passes over the Crosstown Freeway, and crosses the ST&E diamond before arriving at the cut of cars from the previous evening. I’m not sure if this plan was originally pushed by CCT management to cut down on the crew’s on-duty time or if it was Mormon Yard that came up with the idea.

And yes, at present, this is the only time either of the BL12CG’s have ever graced the Lodi Line. From what I understand, neither 1201 or 1202 are slated to move over to the Lodi assignment in the near or long-term.

Date: 09/05/22 07:28
Author: EricSP

NickWolters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And yes, at present, this is the only time either
> of the BL12CG’s have ever graced the Lodi Line.
> From what I understand, neither 1201 or 1202 are
> slated to move over to the Lodi assignment in the
> near or long-term.

They must not want the Lodi locatl to become the subject of a CCR song.

Date: 09/08/22 14:53
Author: wabash2800

I always liked that paint scheme.

Victor B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0995 seconds