Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > More MRL help

Date: 09/06/22 11:39
More MRL help
Author: 55002

Hi - I shall be visiting the MRL later this month. Are the ML & LM workings daily, and what times would they be called for. Many thanks, Chris UK.

Date: 09/06/22 12:35
Re: More MRL help
Author: monaddave

They try to run them daily, no set times on duty. It also is up to where the work windows are, which is currently in the Bozeman area. So whatever fleet of trains holding in Helena will probably leave early afternoon, as well, anything holding in Laurel. The Bozeman Local is currently on duty mid-afternoon working between Boazeman and Logan. They ususally run to Livingston on Thursdays to the old Gardiner Branch spur and RY Lumber.
Dave in MT

Date: 09/06/22 12:35
Author: NDHolmes

Others may have more up to date information, but my experience with ML and LM over the last few months is that their timing is all over the place.  LM out of Helena in the late afternoon seemed to be a little bit of a pattern, but even that wasn't consistent.   ML got going out of Missoula around 5-6pm the couple times I heard it go in May.  Last Sunday, I met LM on top of Bozeman around 1400h, so that fits with the "out of Helena late afternoon / early evening".

There's lots of maintenance going on, with ballast trains, new ties, and signal upgrades everywhere, so I suspect that's a big part of the unpredictability.

Date: 09/06/22 12:52
Author: swaool

I've been over to the MRL several times this summer, and the LM/ML seem to show up "whenever".  As others have noted, lately it's been about work windows (and rested crews).  Last time I was there, the LM left Helena mid-morning, not good for photos.  We caught it descending from Blossburg (the signal visible at far right is the distant signal to West Blossburg) about 11 AM.  July 31, 2022.

mike woodruff
spokane

Date: 09/06/22 15:58
Author: 55002

Hi Mike,  Nathan & Dave. Many thanks for your help. Very useful information. Much appreciated. Looking forward to getting across the pond for some great railroading after the pandemic.  Great photos.  Chris uk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/22 15:59 by 55002.

Date: 09/06/22 19:32
Author: MM171

FWIW: I paralleled the MRL main today in the Bozeman to Three Forks area and picked up the main again at Toston and was along side it all the way to Helena.  This was between 2pm and 4pm MDT.  All I saw was a significant amount of ties waiting to be placed and new signals awaiting activation.  No trains. No MOW activity.  There was an east bound doubled up oil can train tied down in the Winston area. (on the main) In Helena there was a rather long container train tied down. (Also headed east) It was on the toasty side again today.  Perhaps that explains why there was no activity. That or all the MOW activity is in the Three Forks to Toston area where it would be out of sight.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0456 seconds