Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Anti Strike Legislation blocked; railroad strike likely

Date: 09/14/22 20:35
Anti Strike Legislation blocked; railroad strike likely
Author: DevalDragon

Looks like it's going to get real interesting with < 24 hours to go...

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3643255-sanders-blocks-proposal-to-force-rail-unions-to-accept-labor-deal/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/22 20:35 by DevalDragon.

Date: 09/14/22 21:12
Re: Anti Strike Legislation blocked; railroad strike likely
Author: Drknow

Thank you, senator Sanders.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/22 21:52
Author: trainjunkie

Even a broken clock is right twice per day. 

Date: 09/14/22 22:19
Author: wyeth

I have a new respect for Senator Sanders. I disagree with him on many subjects, but I have no doubt that he's a good, honorable person, and he cares about the "little people" who are repeatedly pounded into the ground by the big, rich corporations and the all powerful, wealthy elite of this country.

Date: 09/14/22 22:49
Author: Rover

Drknow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you, senator Sanders.
>
> Regards
>
> Posted from iPhone

Sen. Sanders speech is on his YouTube page.

Date: 09/15/22 00:03
Author: callum_out

I can understand the Republican side as being in the best interest of the country but Sanders is right on this
and the nation shouldn't expect the benefits of rail transport at the cost of it's employees, enough is enough.

Out 

Date: 09/15/22 00:29
Author: RailDawg

There is no difference between what airline pilots do and what train crews do. Spent my life in an airline cockpit and have been lucky to catch a quite a few up-front rides on a western Class 1. 

When I climb up and sit in the jump seat of an SD-70 there is no difference between the feeling of that or being in the cockpit of a modern jet airliner. The rumble, the complexity, the banter between crewmen, the radio chatter...

Airlines finally gave in and acknowledged tired pilots are bad pilots. I have such respect for those that drive trains miles long in all sorts of crazy operating conditions.  Day after day after day with few breaks.  This strike is necessary. 

The machines you all operate are incredible.  

Chuck

Date: 09/15/22 00:38
Author: callum_out

And any more the newest units pretty much have "glass cockpits". One difference between the two professions is that airliners usually
make their destinations without midair issues. We're seeing more and more trains with equipment and other problems every day which
necessitate a stop and crew action to resume their trip. It's bad enough that many routes aren't making it in 12 but add a couple hours to
diagnose a problem and then a 1 to 2 hour van ride because you went DOL and you get long days. And more and more like that every
week.

Out 

Date: 09/15/22 01:52
Author: howeld

I don’t think he “blocked” it. There is a rule for speedy adoption where if no one opposes something it passes by “Unanimous consent”. It only takes one senator to object to force a vote. If correct this move only slows down the process and forces a vote by each member. This happens when the topic is likely to pass but no one wants to have a vote on record.

Not sure if this is exactly what happened, senate rules are clear as mud and the article was lacking in details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/22 01:53 by howeld.

Date: 09/15/22 05:48

It was voted on and failed. Didn’t get out of the senate.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/22 06:16

callum_out Wrote:
> I can understand the Republican side as being in
> the best interest of the country but Sanders is
> right on this
> and the nation shouldn't expect the benefits of
> rail transport at the cost of it's employees,
> enough is enough.
>
> Out 

But the country that includes railroad workers in the United States somehow never seems to matter.

After 42 years of the US Government being in the union busting business and doing a great job of painting labor as the problem to most of the ills of industry, and especially trade unions, the younger generations are finally waking up and questioning what the anti-labor crusades since the 80’s has really done to the middle class.

You gotta hand it to the AAR. Ever since 1971 the industry has done a bang up job of trying to become invisible to the general public, playing the “nothing to see here, move along”card except when they want to project the Andy Griffith aw shucks persona and tote out a huff and puff engine.

Yep, I haven’t seen the details yet but expect the tentative contract to basically be Cramdown Lite. And played for political effect more than anything. We’ll know latter today…

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/22 06:17
Author: Lackawanna484

Senator Sanders has had consistently high marks from organized labor over the decades.

Senators Wicker and Burr have not been known as friends of labor. And their PEB proposal reminded us of that.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/16/22 05:59
Author: sfbrkmn

wyeth Wrote:
> I have a new respect for Senator Sanders. I
> disagree with him on many subjects, but I have no
> doubt that he's a good, honorable person, and he
> cares about the "little people" who are repeatedly
> pounded into the ground by the big, rich
> corporations and the all powerful, wealthy elite
> of this country.
My exact thoughts on ole Bernie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds