Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I sure could use a train! (vol #36)

Date: 09/18/22 03:58
I sure could use a train! (vol #36)
Author: santafe199

In fact, I’d settle for an old fashioned crossbuck or maybe a signal silhouette! Anything at all with RR flavor would do. Unfortunately the closest I can come to that is the fact that somewhere in that dark landscape used to run the tracks of Uncle Pete’s Manhattan ~ Marysville branch. This line was torn out in the late 1950s to facilitate the completion of the Tuttle Creek Reservoir, by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

In all my years of outdoor shooting this is one of the most striking cloud scenes I’ve ever witnessed. To watch it open up, and then close up again was really quite remarkable...

1. Looking NW from near the ‘T’ intersection of Casement & Barnes Rds just north of Manhattan, KS on September 17, 2022.

Thanks for a peek at heaven?
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/22 03:58 by santafe199.

Date: 09/18/22 04:17
Re: I sure could use a train! (vol #36)
Author: KimHeusel

WOW!!!

Kim Heusel

Date: 09/18/22 07:00
Author: bobdavis

That's a "sucker hole" to top them all!

Bob

Date: 09/18/22 07:27
Author: Roadmaster

That is fantastic! As you put it in a recent post, it's artwork from the Master, and I can truthfully add that a master of photography captured it well.

Matthew

Date: 09/18/22 08:43
Author: stevelv

bobdavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a "sucker hole" to top them all!
>
> Bob

I thought the same thing at first glance Bob.  Great shot Lance!

Date: 09/18/22 09:34
Author: Ritzville

Beautiful shot of the storm clouds!!

Larry

Date: 09/18/22 11:50

Ritzville Wrote: > ... storm clouds!!

Indeed! I heard later on that there were all sorts of weather related nasties occurring around Salina, which was on the other side, and to the left of this peep-hole. Just another sky from the Land of OZ... :^)

Lance

Date: 09/18/22 12:43
Author: ChrisCampi

Man, if I saw that in Person it would have given me a real creepy feeling. Great shot.

Date: 09/18/22 16:51
Author: Locoinsp

Awesome photo!!!

Date: 09/18/22 19:09

Thanks gang! Really, no particular talent was employed in shooting this sequence. Except maybe pulling far enough off the road so I wouldn't get rear-ended by some other gawker looking at that cloud formation... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 09/19/22 20:58
Author: tomstp

One heck of a "sucker hole".

Date: 09/20/22 11:18
Author: bobk

Incredible photo!!

Date: 09/21/22 13:33
Author: ns1000

Wow.....

Date: 09/22/22 14:43
Author: engrbill47

"And the Heaven's opened up and Noah started looking for Gopher Wood..." Great shot, Lance. I wish sincerely that we in Southern California had weather events like you seem to have in the Mid West. Keep up the wonderful photography!

William Jeffers, P.E.
San Dimas, CA

Date: 09/23/22 09:45

engrbill47 Wrote: > ... I wish sincerely that we in Southern California had weather events like you seem to have in the Midwest ...

I could get cute, and say something like: "Well, pardner... it's a burden. But I shore do the best I can..."

Or sometimes I teasingly say: "You don't get scenes like this out yonder because all those pesky mountains are in the way..."

;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds