Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SD panel backs 2 rail projects for fed grants / "New" RCPE Locos?

Date: 09/22/22 14:32
SD panel backs 2 rail projects for fed grants / "New" RCPE Locos?
Author: crazy_train_999

The following information was contained in this article - SD panel backs two rail projects for fed grants (keloland.com) - published Wednesday, 09/22/22.  Is anyone aware of the make / model of the "41 newer 1990s-era locomotives" mentioned below?  Is G&W planning to convert their fleet over from EMDs to Dash 8s that were sent through the GE / Wabtec "fluffing" program?  Just curious.

Genesee & Wyoming Inc. owns the RCP&E line that covers South Dakota east to west. Jerry Vest, the company’s senior vice president for government and industry affairs, outlined the project to the state board. Replacing the 120-year-old roundhouse with a three-stall service center for locomotives will cost an estimated $23.25 million, according to Vest.But Vest also told the board the company is finishing a deal to buy 41 newer 1990s-era locomotives to replace 35 of the 1970s-era ones now in use and to provide six of the newer ones for a new shuttle-train customer.He wanted the board to give him more time, because the project’s consultants had recommended adding some of the newer locomotives into the grant application to make it more attractive. The grant’s eligibility provisions include subsidizing locomotives that reduce emissions. Vest suggested that the state board consider a total project of roundhouse and an unspecified number of newer locomotives that would total up to $40 million, with half to be covered by the grant. He said putting all 41 locomotives into the package would make the grant request too large.

Date: 09/22/22 15:49
Re: SD panel backs 2 rail projects for fed grants / "New" RCPE Lo
Author: NWrailfan

I would not be suprised in the least to see them gobble up some of these GECX ex BNSF H2 Dash 9's given they have history with the model now down on that other G&W property in AZ. The mentioning of the shuttle service makes me think the Dash 8's wouldn't be new enough for any necessary PTC and the ex BNSF units are DP capable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/22 15:54 by NWrailfan.

Date: 09/22/22 15:57
Author: callum_out

It's a known fact that G&W has close contacts with WABTEC so an influx of Dash 9s is hardly a surprise. Nice to see
something with the power to get up the hill to Wall.

Out 

Date: 09/22/22 18:01
Author: stlrailfan

Could also be lease returned BNSF SD70MAC's
                                                        Mark Mautner

Date: 09/26/22 09:21

Thank you all for your input!  We'll see what they end up going with.

Date: 09/26/22 09:36
Author: Lackawanna484

Are there any CitiRail units still on the For Sale market, or were they all taken?

Date: 04/17/23 09:49

I was visiting Nevada, MO yesterday and saw MNA 4418, an ex-BNSF C44-9W, switching with a former UP SD.  Does anyone know how many of these former BNSF units are en route to G&W properties?  I assume these units are the ones mentioned in my original post.  If I am not mistaken, 4418 was built in compliance with EPA Tier I requirements as it was constructed in April 0f 1999.  I wonder if BNSF ever rebuilt / overhauled it?

Date: 04/17/23 10:07
Author: mcdeo

I believe all Citirail ES44AC's went to CN. 

Lots of SD70MAC's sitting around and now a fair amount of Dash 9's available on the second hand market. Lots of SD70 DC traction motor variants also available. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 04/17/23 10:33
Author: Lackawanna484

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe all Citirail ES44AC's went to CN. 
>
> Lots of SD70MAC's sitting around and now a fair
> amount of Dash 9's available on the second hand
> market. Lots of SD70 DC traction motor variants
> also available. 

Thanks!

===========================

South Dakota has a small amount of natural gas drilling, as both the Julesburg and Williston basins dip into the state. I wonder if the state could cut a deal to use EPA money to capture natural gas flaring and subsidize natural gas assisted locomotives?  Florida East Coast has done fine with its ES44 natural gas units.

Date: 04/17/23 12:19
Author: SOO6617

crazy_train_999 Wrote:
> I was visiting Nevada, MO yesterday and saw MNA
> 4418, an ex-BNSF C44-9W, switching with a former
> UP SD.  Does anyone know how many of these former
> BNSF units are en route to G&W properties?  I
> assume these units are the ones mentioned in my
> original post.  If I am not mistaken, 4418 was
> built in compliance with EPA Tier I requirements
> as it was constructed in April 0f 1999.  I wonder
> if BNSF ever rebuilt / overhauled it?

Those are still Tier 0+ locomotives. Tier 1 didn't start until 2002 except for a small batch of pre-production locomotives.

Date: 04/17/23 16:34
Author: MP555

crazy_train_999 Wrote:
> I was visiting Nevada, MO yesterday and saw MNA
> 4418, an ex-BNSF C44-9W, switching with a former
> UP SD.  Does anyone know how many of these former
> BNSF units are en route to G&W properties? 

4 to Arizona & California Railroad
33 between Alabama & Gulf Coast Railway and Missouri & Northern Arkansas Railroad

> I wonder if BNSF ever rebuilt / overhauled it?

MNA 4418 is ex-BNSF 4489.  BNSF overhauled it every six years: November 2005, October 2011 and August 2017.

Date: 04/18/23 10:46

Thank you all for the information.  Very helpful.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.076 seconds