Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Creeping anonymity on the Union Pacific?

Date: 11/17/22 13:25
Creeping anonymity on the Union Pacific?
Author: CR4124

Saw these two covered hopper cars on a westbound UP at Kearney, NE web-cam (Thank's Virtual Railfan!) today, November 17, @ 11:09:03 CST.

I saw a number of these new style covered hoppers on this train, and an earlier unit  (grain?) train, also headed west.

I snaged a pix of these two, as these are the first cars I have that do not feature the "Building America" logo, and UP shield. Just reporting marks (CMO 105179 and CMO 105178).

I understand we have moved on from the era of "bill-board" lettering and slogans. I welcome the recent change in UP locomotive schemes, to stop the use of the large U.S. flag, as many were looking pretty sorry.

But "Building America" and the classic UP shield (even if it doesn't note railroad anymore). 

Say it ain't so!

Jack

Date: 11/17/22 13:41
Re: Creeping anonymity on the Union Pacific?
Author: thebluecomet

More space for the taggers to work in. Nice big blank canvas.

Date: 11/17/22 13:44
Author: sp8192

Probably leased.  Much easier when they are painted bla gray and slap some new initials and numbers on the side if they get re-stenciled.   Sad but true.   Look at the KCS belle painted hoppers, that now say COER, but still look like a KCS belle hopper.   Painting them a drab nuetral color is the new norm...  boo.  

Date: 11/17/22 13:57
Author: PHall

The UP shield hasn't had Railroad on it since the 1970's.

Date: 11/17/22 16:10
Author: tomstp

What is the purpose of the 4 seams?

Date: 11/17/22 17:25
Author: Gonut1

A railfan friend said years ago, "There will be two railroads, One Black, One Gray."
Seems that way sometimes.
Go

Date: 11/17/22 17:36
Author: sarailfan

Those 4 seams are likely to stiffen the sides, like the MILW rib-side boxcars of yore.

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 11/18/22 09:06
Author: ExStarlightHog

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the purpose of the 4 seams?
I see 6 seams.

Date: 11/18/22 22:27
Author: gonx

Also, CMO markings have been applied to other second or third hand hoppers. It's all part of the way car leasing works.

Date: 11/19/22 18:30
Author: wyeth

It became common in the late 80's and early 90's for railroads to only apply their initials to freight cars.  UP would put a small shield on the car.

Date: 11/20/22 15:41
Author: pbouzide

The new BKTY boxcars don't have a shield either. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds