Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Two FREDs are better than one!

Date: 11/24/22 20:43
Two FREDs are better than one!
Author: santafe199

So I’m coming north on K-177 after a full afternoon compiling images for another Flint Hills DT report. There is right at a mile of straight-as-an-arrow distance between Cottonwood Falls & Strong City. The visibility is good enough to see if the RR gates are down with train rolling through Strong. And in perfect accordance with Murphy’s Railfan Law about 5 times out of 6 when leaving C Falls you can never make that mile up there before a train beats you to the crossing. It happened again this evening. But I fought back! I noticed another eastbound train sitting in the siding getting the ol’ runaround. So I decided to stop right in the middle of the crossing and shoot the FRED of the stationary train. I “machine-gunned” 4 quick shots to make sure I got the FRED flash. Turns out I bagged the flash on the first shot. But that’s not all! I also got lucky and bagged the FRED flash from the passing train now almost a mile away down the main line. With luck like that who needs skill... ;^)

1. Looking east from the BNSF/Cottonwood Street (KS hwy 177 ~ Main Drag) crossing in Strong City, KS on November 24, 2022.

Thanks for flashing me!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/22 20:44 by santafe199.

Date: 11/24/22 21:50
Re: Two FREDs are better than one!
Author: MacBeau

Going away shots are an art form, even if they're a grudge shot. Never surrender.
—Mac

Date: 11/24/22 22:18
Author: jgilmore

Nice catch, the message from two FREDs is this: No action in your immediate future, sucka...

JG

Date: 11/25/22 07:14
Author: Gonut1

Of course skill and luck together are a force to be reckoned with.
Neat catch.
gonut

Date: 11/25/22 07:54
Author: texchief1

Neat shot!

RC Lundgren

Date: 11/25/22 09:52
Author: Ritzville

Nice, that's a hard one to catch!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds