Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Congress begins work on the imposed settlement

Date: 11/29/22 18:59
Congress begins work on the imposed settlement
Author: Lackawanna484

The Washington Post has an article tonight about the outlook for an imposed settlement.  Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Schumer, and Minority Leader McConnell have signalled they agree that a rail strike is too big a threat to the economy.  Presumptive Republican House  Speaker Kevin McCarthy has not said how he would vote.  Ms Pelosi has said she will begin work on a bill, imposing the general terms of the Tentative Agreement, and present it on Wednesday.  However, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has said he will block consideration in the Senate unless a provision for seven  paid sick days is considered for a vote..

Labor representatives quoted in the article want to strike if necessary to get the paid sick days, although the SMART declined to comment.  The article, by the way, was written by the WaPo's labor reporter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/11/29/rail-strike-congress-biden-pelosi/

Date: 11/29/22 21:29
Re: Congress begins work on the imposed settlement
Author: funnelfan

Seems that union money is just going to waste. Same thing happened that the last time there was a rail strike, the democrats sold out the railroaders. Seems that anyone that supports the bill should not get a dime from any union.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/29/22 21:47
Author: radar

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems that union money is just going to waste.
> Same thing happened that the last time there was a
> rail strike, the democrats sold out the
> railroaders. Seems that anyone that supports the
> bill should not get a dime from any union.

That's just ignoring the political realities of a bad economy and a weak majority in the Senate.  Democrats are doing what they can, given the circumstances. Sen. Sanders has the right idea, and maybe he'll manage to pull it off.  Knowing Biden, improving the deal in Congress might have been part of the plan all along, and he's had Bernie take the lead before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/22 21:48 by radar.

Date: 11/29/22 23:01
Author: Bandito

From what I've gathered, it wasn't about the money, and it isn't now just about the number of sick days. Even if additional sick days are added through the legislative smack-down, that doesn't address the quality of life issues that border on not actually having a life.

Date: 11/29/22 23:19
Author: NWRail

Bandito Wrote:
> From what I've gathered, it wasn't about the
> money, and it isn't now just about the number of
> sick days. Even if additional sick days are added
> through the legislative smack-down, that doesn't
> address the quality of life issues that border on
> not actually having a life.

Just make sure you plan ahead when you're going to be sick, and it can only be on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, unless one of those days is a holiday.

Date: 11/30/22 05:00
Author: IC1038west

It is about protecting your health as an employee. The carriers and Congress are not interested.

Date: 11/30/22 05:33
Author: Drknow

It’s not just about being sick or going to the doctor.

I don’t know how the contract language got hijacked but the No. 1 issue this round has been crew consist and availability.

Availability is not just going to the doctor, but going to family functions, school activities with children, hobbies, working on the house, maybe just having a day or two away from the unscheduled job, JUST BECAUSE, like everyone else in this country does. But that narrative got buried.

All of a sudden the NCCC comes at us with the big number on a raise…. and self supporting pools and loosing our right to a bump. In a instant the discussion has taken a 180; the Carrier’s lawyers again are playing chess and the unions are playing tic tac toe. The Carrier’s took control of the narrative (again) and presented the 24% raise to the public as trying to placate those lazy railroaders one more time.

Of course D.C. will do whatever they can to help the biggest dono… I mean constituents and the AAR parrot Frank (Did you know I used to work for the UTU) Wilner has always told the media and public about how those shiftless and lazy union members are just featherbeding and not really contributing anything to the bottom line.

George Carlin said it years ago. The game is rigged and the Owners have just given us the illusion of self control.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/22 05:46
Author: Lackawanna484

Controlling the narrative, and getting your story into the public view and keeping it there is always critical.

In contrast, look at how consistently the big, bad self driving car and truck message is being presented.

There are allies to be had among the shippers who want consistent good service, communities who would prefer fewer exploding trains downtown, etc. These are achievable short term goals but they require a unified plan.

Not each union wondering how the other will sell them out.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/22 07:42
Author: Rover

"A letter from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Democratic colleagues promised two votes, reflecting the consternation she was hearing from members. The first vote will be on adopting the tentative labor agreement. The second will be on a measure to add seven days of paid sick leave for railroaders to the agreement."

https://apnews.com/article/business-economy-strikes-congress-government-and-politics-055609b54cfd5d21de0f42fccddff22b

(I also posted this in the Nov. 28th thread, whcih is where the main discussion is happening...)

Date: 11/30/22 12:16
Author: Trainhand

What good are the sick days if the rr won't let you take the?

Sam

Date: 11/30/22 12:59
Author: TAW

Trainhand Wrote:
> What good are the sick days if the rr won't let
> you take the?
>That's what I have been telling follks around here in the Facebook groups I posted the letter. The folks read the BS from the media and politicians and think it is all good. Of course, my piece on working conditions is five pages... and nobody wants to put out that much effort (or so it seems).

TAW

Date: 11/30/22 20:49
Author: Drknow

I don’t have a face or book. But dammit I’d read it.

Thanks spatch.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/04/22 07:50
Author: ns1000

Drknow Wrote:
> It’s not just about being sick or going to the
> doctor.
>
> I don’t know how the contract language got
> hijacked but the No. 1 issue this round has been
> crew consist and availability.
>
> Availability is not just going to the doctor, but
> going to family functions, school activities with
> children, hobbies, working on the house, maybe
> just having a day or two away from the unscheduled
> job, JUST BECAUSE, like everyone else in this
> country does. But that narrative got buried.
>
> All of a sudden the NCCC comes at us with the big
> number on a raise…. and self supporting pools
> and loosing our right to a bump. In a instant the
> discussion has taken a 180; the Carrier’s
> lawyers again are playing chess and the unions are
> playing tic tac toe. The Carrier’s took control
> of the narrative (again) and presented the 24%
> raise to the public as trying to placate those
> lazy railroaders one more time.
>
> Of course D.C. will do whatever they can to help
> the biggest dono… I mean constituents and the
> AAR parrot Frank (Did you know I used to work for
> the UTU) Wilner has always told the media and
> public about how those shiftless and lazy union
> members are just featherbeding and not really
> contributing anything to the bottom line.
>
> George Carlin said it years ago. The game is
> rigged and the Owners have just given us the
> illusion of self control.
>
> Regards
>
> Posted from iPhone

We are just a bunch of "mud people"...

The bottom line folks is you LITERALLY live your life "on the rails" or at the noisy hotel. Good luck with "normal" life activities?!?!

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/22 12:26
Author: skinem

funnelfan Wrote:
> Seems that union money is just going to waste.
> Same thing happened that the last time there was a
> rail strike, the democrats sold out the
> railroaders. Seems that anyone that supports the
> bill should not get a dime from any union. 
 Says short-line Casey Jones. Didn't go down like that on the last one I was on. Where were you that this happened?!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds