Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > EB in Laramie -- Sounds like it lost a cylinder

Date: 01/27/23 17:54
EB in Laramie -- Sounds like it lost a cylinder
Author: x9000

Tonight at about 1838 on the VFR Laramie web cams, there was a EB UP manifest coming down main 3.  As the lead engine came by the microphone on the camera, you could hear that it was missing a cylinder.  Lead engines were 3 GE's but could not get the engine numbers.  Didn't sound like it would make it past run 2 or higher without coming apart.

Date: 01/27/23 19:01
Re: EB in Laramie -- Sounds like it lost a cylinder
Author: funnelfan

I've heard some "chitty chitty bang bang" GE's before. One was in a helper set in Sheridan, WY a few years ago. Heard the engine idling in town over night, then the next morning heard a locomotive coming out to the mine with the very noticeable bang....bang....bang...

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/23 20:36 by funnelfan.

Date: 01/27/23 19:40
Author: x9000

After dropping some cars in Laramie, they backed up to pickup the rest of the train and at about 2030 they reved up sounding like a tugboat and headed east up Sherman Hill.  

Date: 01/27/23 19:42
Author: LocoPilot750

BNSF had some GE's that "skip fired" at idle, not sure they still do that. It was a fuel saving system that fired every other cylinder at idle.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/28/23 03:53
Author: splitreduction

I hope you called it in!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/28/23 06:41
Author: oneblock

Why call it in? The crew knows what it is doing. The railroads of today will not fix anything until it will not run anymore or parts are laying on the walkway.

Date: 01/28/23 08:02
Author: PHall

I suspect that if there was one cylinder that was not firing that there would be alarm bells and the unit would be off line because the computer took it off line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds