Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CP Power on the KCS Meridian Speedway

Date: 02/28/23 07:13
CP Power on the KCS Meridian Speedway
Author: Vicksburg_Route

On Monday, February 27, I received intelligence from a friend to my west that an eastbound general merchandise freight would be showing up in my area with a pair of Canadian Pacific units for power.  Since the announcement of the CP+KCS Merger, CP power has been showing up periodically on the Meridian Speedway, but this is the first time I recall seeing "pure" CP power on the Speedway in several years.  I headed out and staked out a couple of locations to photograph the train as it approached Vicksburg, Mississippi.  I never did get the train symbol, but it had a little of everything - single stacks, coil cars, tanks and a lot of double stacks and auto racks.  I suspect it may have been a combined train, given the length and consist, but I can't be sure.

Image 1 - CP 8926 and CP 8834 sail through the curve at MP 5 on the KCS Vicksburg Subdivision.

Image 2 - CP 8926 and CP 8834 cross the Mississippi River Bridge at Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Date: 02/28/23 07:23
Re: CP Power on the KCS Meridian Speedway
Author: Roadmaster

Nice photos!  How much/what kind of vehicular traffic is allowed on the highway portion of the bridge?

Matthew

Date: 02/28/23 07:31
Author: ntharalson

Wow, a mostly clean CP 8900 leading.  Good catch, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 02/28/23 07:44
Author: toledopatch

Roadmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos!  How much/what kind of vehicular
> traffic is allowed on the highway portion of the
> bridge?
>
The roadway portion of the bridge is no longer open to the public.

I was wondering myself what the purpose of that pickup truck was. I presume vehicles still access it for maintenance.

Date: 02/28/23 08:05
Author: florida581

Looks like the train terminated in Jackson, as that consist didn't make it to NS.  Most likely, this was MSZJA.

Andrew

Date: 02/28/23 08:13
Author: AndyBrown

I get so sick of seeing CP here at home but it always looks so much better on someone else's RR.  I really like the light in that first shot, and the bridge shot as always is great.

Andy

Date: 02/28/23 13:03
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 02/28/23 14:14
Author: SP8595

Great pair!

Date: 03/01/23 03:12
Author: Vicksburg_Route

Thanks for all the kind comments.

The roadway is closed to traffic.  The vehicles on the bridge belong to the Warren County Bridge Commission, the folks that are responsible for maintaining the bridge.  

VR Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds