Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > S.F. Peninsula Gets its UP Daylight Freight Back

Date: 03/05/23 20:02
S.F. Peninsula Gets its UP Daylight Freight Back
Author: milepost20

Anything that breaks up the near monopoly of Caltrain commutes on the San Francisco
Peninsula is a welcome sight and with sunset now pushing past 18:00 we have that
opportunity again.  UP's Mission Bay Turn goes on duty at Warm Springs at approx. 15:00
and runs south on the Warm Springs Sub to San Jose before making a U-turn onto the Caltrain
main to head north to South San Francisco.  Observers on the Peninsula should now again be
able to catch it in daylight as it normally hits the San Jose area around 17:00.

Today's 28 car Mission Bay with the usual pair of SD59MX's is seen cruising north under the
yet to be energized wires at track speed (50 mph for freight) along the four track raceway
approaching Lawrence station.  Tonight's train had to turn back at the yard at Redwood Jct.
due to Caltrain being shut down north of Millbrae this weekend.

Date: 03/05/23 20:45
Re: S.F. Peninsula Gets its UP Daylight Freight Back
Author: mojaveflyer

The cantenary does provide interesting ways of framing your photos.... Nice!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/05/23 22:41
Author: broken_link

I like the tele-mashing of that jog in the track at Lawrence. The catenary gives it an East Coast or European aesthetic, but the landscape is pure Bay Area.

I used to regularly commute to Lawrence when I was working in San Jose. Even with the wiggle it's still good for 50 freight, and for passenger 79 on Mains 1 and 2 and 70 on Mains 3 and 4.

Date: 03/05/23 23:29
Author: Mccloud-36

I remember a few years back there was talk about get a new operator for the freight traffic on the Peninsula to inter change with the UP in San Jose.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/06/23 08:46
Author: goduckies

Looks so bad with that crap over the right of way.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/06/23 22:54
Author: Evan_Werkema

Amazing to see Union Pacific running under wire!

Date: 03/07/23 13:46
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds