Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA


Date: 03/16/23 09:38
BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: NWRail




Date: 03/16/23 10:12
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: ChicagoCoyote

Another freight train crash spewing toxic chemicals in to our already fragile ecosystem. Sad!



Date: 03/16/23 10:24
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: swaool

The train is the Annie local, not sure of the symbol presently being used.  It would have been eastbound on the Anacortes spur returning to Burlington, and the derailment appears to have occurred right behind the Swinomish casino, approaching bridge 7.6, which is the swing bridge over the Swinomish Channel.  I've attached a shot of the westbound Annie taken on 9/26/2019 at the same location looking the other way.  Unit crude oil trains bound for the refineries on March Point also use this trackage.

mike woodruff
spokane wa




Date: 03/16/23 10:24
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: wyeth

ChicagoCoyote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another freight train crash spewing toxic
> chemicals in to our already fragile ecosystem.
> Sad!

Humans do it daily - have been for a long time.  That is sad.



Date: 03/16/23 10:38
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: TAW

swaool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would have been
> eastbound on the Anacortes spur returning to
> Burlington, and the derailment appears to have
> occurred right behind the Swinomish casino,
> approaching bridge 7.6, which is the swing bridge
> over the Swinomish Channel.

Looks like the King TV crew got there before the yellow tape was put up. There was a split second view from west of the power that looks like the derail was against them. That clip is gone now.

TAW
 



Date: 03/16/23 15:41
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: goduckies

TAW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> swaool Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would have been
> > eastbound on the Anacortes spur returning to
> > Burlington, and the derailment appears to have
> > occurred right behind the Swinomish casino,
> > approaching bridge 7.6, which is the swing
> bridge
> > over the Swinomish Channel.
>
> Looks like the King TV crew got there before the
> yellow tape was put up. There was a split second
> view from west of the power that looks like the
> derail was against them. That clip is gone now.
>
> TAW
>  

That is how it looks...

https://twitter.com/BreakingSkagit/status/1636368181173571585?s=20

Posted from Android



Date: 03/16/23 15:52
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: TAW

TAW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> swaool Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It would have been
> > eastbound on the Anacortes spur returning to
> > Burlington, and the derailment appears to have
> > occurred right behind the Swinomish casino,
> > approaching bridge 7.6, which is the swing
> bridge
> > over the Swinomish Channel.
>
> Looks like the King TV crew got there before the
> yellow tape was put up. There was a split second
> view from west of the power that looks like the
> derail was against them. That clip is gone now.
>
> TAW
>

Now an aerial is posted on the KIRO website. https://cmg-cmg-tv-10090-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/2LOnFkLfH2BCB8HK0Q4ph5nLZ5A=/800x0/filters:format(jpg):quality(70)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/cmg/TFAL42EZF5ELPHEOLT2ILFAF3U.jpg

It's not definative because the derail could have been lined back after pulling olff the rear end, but in the picture, the banner shows the derail set against the movement.

TAW



Date: 03/16/23 16:14
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: MP555

swaool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unit crude
> oil trains bound for the refineries on March Point
> also use this trackage.

They used to. The Swinomish Tribe sued and won a lawsuit against BNSF for running more and longer trains than allowed per agreement.



Date: 03/16/23 16:29
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: wabash2800

So, it's diesel fuel from a locomotive fuel tank, not a tank car... Not good but better than tank cars of explosive chemicals...

Victor Baird



Date: 03/16/23 17:39
Re: BNSF derailment in Anacortes, WA
Author: portlander

MP555 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> swaool Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Unit crude
> > oil trains bound for the refineries on March
> Point
> > also use this trackage.
>
> They used to. The Swinomish Tribe sued and won a
> lawsuit against BNSF for running more and longer
> trains than allowed per agreement.

I was wondering if this was the line. What are they allowed now? 12 cars of oil a day?

Is the bridge in the photo the one controlled by the tribe?



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0698 seconds