Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Video: Driving across the Fort Madison IA bridge

Date: 03/16/23 18:58
Video: Driving across the Fort Madison IA bridge
Author: Lackawanna484

There's a U tube video with that title. The driver starts by the park entrance crossing, makes at right turn and crosses the K line, then proceeds over the bridge to Illinois. About three minutes long.

Date: 03/16/23 19:53
Re: Video: Driving across the Fort Madison IA bridge
Author: stevelv

Been there done that last summer.  Bridge is free going into Iowa and 2 bucks into Illinois.  For some unknown reason the morning we left heading east there was a sign saying no toll today so free for me and my Uncle both ways.  Fort Madison is a cool town with very busy BNSF action (and a few UP) and the Kingsley Inn is a top notch hotel.  I definitely plan to return as the small town atmosphere along with the bridge and rail and river action can't be beat.

Date: 03/17/23 04:22
Author: lne655

Was there and drove several times across in the past 2 years, the attraction being BNSF and the Kingsley Inn, highly recommended, stayed 3 mights each tour. No tolls on either trip crossing the bridge.

Date: 03/17/23 08:01
Author: calumet

I've heard that BNSF owns the bridge.  Can anyone confirm that?

Date: 03/17/23 08:39
Author: ntharalson

calumet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard that BNSF owns the bridge.  Can anyone
> confirm that?

Yes, BNSF owns the bridge.  Pre-merger, the Santa Fe owned the bridge.  It's the second one and one of the longest swing spans around.  Shots are good from either side too.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/17/23 16:04
Author: atsfgp40x

Fort Madison, the city, has been doing a lot of work on Riverview park on the east side and the marina. It has really opened up the area for shooting. And with or no obstruction to the line of sight there are a lot of possibilities. Its a lot better than when I grew up there. 

NIKS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds