Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KCS Illinois Questions

Date: 03/17/23 00:09
KCS Illinois Questions
Author: GP40

With the countdown now beginning to the April 14 date of Kansas City Southern’s flag falling, I’m planning a trip (as many others are, I’m sure) to see the railroad while it’s still operating as an independent entity under the voting trust.

I decided a while ago that I wanted to try catching the action on the former Gateway Western system between Kansas City, Springfield and East St. Louis. These lines come up every so often in discussion but I wanted to know the most up to date information on them.

I’m specifically interested in the line between Mexico, MO and Godfrey, IL along with the branches to Springfield and Jacksonville.

What I know:
2-4 road freights per day
—I-KCVN
—I-VNKC
—M-KCVN
—M-VNKC

Locals based out of Venice, IL (to Roodhouse, IL) and from Roodhouse to Springfield, Jacksonville.

What I don’t know:

-What general days/times for the road freights?

-What general days/times for the locals? Springfield run is 1x per week on Tuesdays per research, Venice local is 2x per week?

-How often do grain extras run to the elevator near / at Jacksonville? I recall the operator of that outfit was railing against CN trying to wrest the GWWR away so he could have expanded single line service to Mexico and Canada - bet they’re happy now.

-What are the scanner frequencies, including for the UP/Amtrak main south of Godfrey through Alton?

-Defect Detectors?

-Subdivision names?

-General track speed?

I know these are a lot of questions. I also know this is a very lightly trafficked line and few people devote time or energy into it because of that. I just want to make sure when I go I know as much about the operation as possible to maximize catches and photos.

Thanks in advance for any information!

GP
Cleveland, OH

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/17/23 13:50
Re: KCS Illinois Questions
Author: pbouzide

GP40 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> -How often do grain extras run to the elevator
> near / at Jacksonville? I recall the operator of
> that outfit was railing against CN trying to wrest
> the GWWR away so he could have expanded single
> line service to Mexico and Canada - bet they’re
> happy now.

Sorry that I don't have any answers to your Qs but my goodness Jacksonville, IL to the Quad Cities via KC for "single line service" to Canada is hella circuitous.

Date: 03/17/23 19:39
Author: stlrailfan

there is no longer a seperate intermodal train , intermodal is moved on the mainfest trains. So Basically one train a day each way into /out of East St Louis. There is a local out of Roodhouse that works M-F I think they go west three days a week and north 2 days a week. You will also get grain trains to/from Barlett at Jacksonville, IL.
                                                                                                                                                                             Mark Mautner

Date: 03/17/23 19:41
Author: stlrailfan

I should add there is no local to Roodhouse out of East St Louis. THey do run a local on days East St Louis to Godfrey or Wood River. Nothing originates at Venice hasnt for years
                                                                                                                 Mark

Date: 03/18/23 14:59
Author: Fireman424

Symbols have changed to CP symbols. M258 and M259 are the road trains now. 161.460 is the KCS channel, 160.560 and 161.280 on UP, UP calls the road train MESGOJ-##, MGOESJ-## or the local LESGOJ. They also run a local out of East St.Louis to the CSX or the TRRA. Road train seems to come in the morning and out in the afternoon. They do go all over the board at times though. Hope this helps,
Randy Allard

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds