Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > KCS helpers

Date: 03/26/23 08:09
KCS helpers
Author: rails_etc

Are there any places where KCS currently uses manned helpers? Where is DPU currently used on manifest trains?

-Alan-

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/23 12:14
Re: KCS helpers
Author: 3rdswitch

Pretty much all unit train south traffic DPU's are added at Pittsburg, KS, except run through UP and BNSF coal which usually are already DPU get an addition unit added on rear. MOST unit train DPU units that are added at Pittsburg for southbounds are set out at Wade, AR, first siding south of DeQueen.. MOST east west manifest on Shreveport and Meridian Sub are 1x1 or 2x1 across the "speedway" MOST east west intermodal all power on point. Not familiar with traffic south out of Shreveport. No manned helpers that I am aware of.
JB

Date: 03/26/23 13:40
Author: BobE

I'm pretty sure the only manned helper district on the KCS had been over Rich Mountan (I think the helpers were added at Neosho, MO to help deal with the Ozarks grades?  Not sure where they were cut off).  That's DPU now.

BobE

Date: 03/26/23 14:23
Author: rails_etc

I had seen a post referencing some helpers on KCSM, I think on the Veracruz line. I wonder if those are still active? Or on the Tampico or Lazaro Cardenas lines, they looked pretty hilly on Google Earth but I haven't seen a grade profile.

-Alan-

Posted from Android

Date: 03/26/23 17:50
Author: TTownTrains

BobE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm pretty sure the only manned helper district on
> the KCS had been over Rich Mountan (I think the
> helpers were added at Neosho, MO to help deal with
> the Ozarks grades?  Not sure where they were cut
> off).  That's DPU now.
>
> BobE

There were 2 manned helper districts, one from Neosho to Gentry, and the other from Heavener over Rich Mountain to somewhere south of Mena (it didn't seem to me like the cutoff point was consistent).

Bill G.
Tulsa, OK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/23 18:21 by TTownTrains.

Date: 03/28/23 13:59
Author: tuxedorailfan

No manned helpers now on KCS. All DPU's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds