Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hot train WB at Thisbe, Nevada

Date: 03/26/23 16:26
Hot train WB at Thisbe, Nevada
Author: Pianotuner

On a chilly Sunday I went out east of Reno about thirty miles and caught an extremely well-powered priority double stack train. With five units, it was probably overpowered and I surmise UP is moving locomotives over Donner Pass to work hard coming back from Roseville. The railroad is single track across most of Nevada and becomes double track with bidirectional running at Vista, which is just east of Sparks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/23 16:33 by Pianotuner.

Date: 03/26/23 16:31
Re: Hot train WB at Thisbe, Nevada

The sidings east of Reno have been lengthened, probably more than once, in the last decade. My picture shows the westbound just about to knock down the clear block to a red one. There was a fair bit of eastbound traffic at Sparks waiting to depart after this hotshot train arrived. I actually passed two as I was driving back. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/23 16:59 by Pianotuner.

Date: 03/26/23 16:33

I have lived here fifty years. But only recently did I find this attractive spot with a little elevation and a nice view of the siding and associated signals.

Date: 03/26/23 16:51
Author: atsf121

Great pictures!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/26/23 17:33
Author: callum_out

As has been mentioned UP is commonly putting 5 units on trains, might not all be on like but if needed
it's a lot better than waiting 8 hours for something from the nearest terminal to show up.

Out 

Date: 03/26/23 21:15
Author: cchan006

Pianotuner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a chilly Sunday I went out east of Reno about
> thirty miles and caught an extremely well-powered
> priority double stack train.

Nice catch and photos. Train looks like the ZG2OAB (ZNPOA years ago, and I used to nickname it the "Super Beef") which has reefer 40' boxes. Difficult to tell from a distance, but there seems to be "Power Paks" on this train.

Date: 03/27/23 00:21
Author: coach

At one point in years past, wasn't the SP double-track almost all the way across Nevada, due to lots of interchange with UP in Ogden?  Then  the 2nd rail was pulled up, I guess?  But when?

Date: 03/27/23 09:47

I have leaved here since 1973 and co not know about double tracks all across Nevada. Hope someone can follow up.

Date: 03/27/23 11:00
Author: WP3545

It used to be from Rose Creek to just west of Lovelock Nv.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds