Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > National Steel Car Co didn't like being the Scapegoat

Date: 04/16/23 01:34
National Steel Car Co didn't like being the Scapegoat
Author: funnelfan

National Steel Car Co didn't like being scapegoated for NS's lousy train makeup that resulted in the derailment in Springfield, OH that shortly followed the NS disaster in East Palestine, OH. They published this letter on Friday that took NS to task for trying to pin the derailment on "loose wheels" on the NSC cars.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/16/23 03:15
Re: National Steel Car Co didn't like being the Scapegoat
Author: bmarti7

Good for them.

PCBill

Date: 04/16/23 08:11
Author: longliveSP

HO HUM. Just a normal progression of investigations and lawyer responses. 

Date: 04/16/23 08:18
Author: Lackawanna484

The best defense is often a good offense.

In a different thread, it's noted that the Association of American Railroads revoked its directive for members to check the wheels of National Steel Car equipment in use.

Perhaps, behind the scenes, National Steel advised AAR and maybe Norfolk Southern that their comments defamed National Steel and they planned to sue for big bucks.  It's a very abrupt "never mind" from the AAR.  Absent any solid proof that National Steel's product was defective or the cause of the East Palestine derailment, everyone beat a hasty retreat.

Date: 04/16/23 09:41
Author: railstiesballast

I worked on a derailment of a fast merchandise train, with cars scattered across the desert that was caused by a sunkink.
In the pile we found a loose wheel (see photo).
When I asked if that could be the cause, I was told that it was not uncommon to find wheels knocked loose in violent derailments.
Decades ago, and a sample of one, but the claim by NSC has merit in my opinion.

Date: 04/16/23 11:25
Author: pbouzide

I guess this would prove the point that knee jerk reactive measures to derailments that become media circuses isn't limited to government regulators.

Date: 04/16/23 11:29
Author: rrman6

It makes AAR, FRA, and NTSB to having "jumped the gun" and allowing NS to "bully them" with their defense.  You'd think these Federal groups would have sense to fully examine the dimensional results of the wheels and axles, plus historically reviewing past examples as indicated in this photo from railstiesballast.  High Ups in High Offices making the decisions!  NSC appears the winner with adequate records to prove their case.  Nature usually wins!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/23 11:31 by rrman6.

Date: 04/16/23 16:03
Author: 567Chant

I am curious about the process noted as -
"...Through the use of laser scan data, the three wheels which moved on their axles..."
What is this laser scan process? Was it employed pre- or post event? I haven't been able to find info on this.
TIA!
...Lorenzo

Date: 04/16/23 16:47
Author: Spdif

The AAR wobble committe?  Really?  Were they first the Bearings Axles Wheels Lubrication and Springs committee but there was a power struggle and springs were taken away?

Seriously though, for all the wheel sets I've seen I hadn't thought about the axle and wheel being separate pieces.  What keeps the wheel attached to the axle in a modern wheel set? 

Date: 04/16/23 17:07
Author: sarailfan

The 200? ton press that forced it on there. Wheels are press fit onto the axle, but I don't recall the exact pressure used (it's in the tons range)

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 04/16/23 17:56
Author: 2720

Spdif Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The AAR wobble committe?  Really?  Were they
> first the Bearings Axles Wheels Lubrication and
> Springs committee but there was a power struggle
> and springs were taken away?
>
> Seriously though, for all the wheel sets I've seen
> I hadn't thought about the axle and wheel being
> separate pieces.  What keeps the wheel attached
> to the axle in a modern wheel set? 

The bore of the wheel is smaller than the diameter
of the axle and is pressed on using a 600 ton press,
I had some wheels replaced on some special axles
years ago and during a tour of the facility doing the 
job, they stated their press was 600 tons of pressure!
The wheels are press fit to the axle!

Mike

Date: 04/16/23 20:16
Author: Trainhand

I would have said pressed on while at an elevated temp. like a pinion gear on a traction motor. 

Sam

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds