Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Illinois Central 2724 on UP Train in Colorado 25 May 2023

Date: 05/25/23 14:47
Illinois Central 2724 on UP Train in Colorado 25 May 2023
Author: cozephyr

Illinois Central CN 2724 led Union Pacific train from North Platte, Nebraska, to 36th Street Yard, Denver, CO, on 25 May 2023 on UP's Greeley Subdivision.  Train crossed the South Platte River near Evans, CO.

NO sound videos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/23 14:54 by cozephyr.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/25/23 16:34
Re: Illinois Central 2724 on UP Train in Colorado 25 May 2023
Author: JGFuller

If I were in possession of a Track Warrant or OCS Clearance that specified "After the arrival of IC 2724 ...", I'd be hard-pressed to identify this as the above-mentioned unit. 

Oh, wait ... there it is! "IC" in very small print.

Why would this unit not be identified as "CN 2724", since it has "CN" in very large print on its side?

Date: 05/25/23 18:29
Author: cozephyr

Damn good question- NO idea.

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I were in possession of a Track Warrant or OCS
> Clearance that specified "After the arrival of IC
> 2724 ...", I'd be hard-pressed to identify this as
> the above-mentioned unit. 
>
> Why would this unit not be identified as "CN
> 2724", since it has "CN" in very large print on
> its side?

Date: 05/26/23 08:16
Author: pbouzide

ISO containers westbound into Denver is interesting. Depicts a shift to east coast ports I suppose. I wonder if this train was all IM or a mix of IM and carload given the North Platte origin,

Date: 05/26/23 11:36
Author: toledopatch

All equipment is referred to by its reporting marks. Train crews, dispatchers, and others involved in the movement of trains are obliged to know the correct identification.

As noted in a related thread, CN has quite a few locomotives with non-CN reporting marks, but they're not alone. There were plenty of locomotives in the post-merger BNSF and UP fleets that still had billboard "Santa Fe" or "Southern Pacific" lettering, and such also was true for ex-Conrail locomotives on NS and CSX. A lot of railfans insist on referring to the latter still as having been "Conrail" engines until their repaint or retirement, but the railroaders were obliged to know better. Another example is the former D&RGW "Rio Grande" engines on the Wheeling & Lake Erie that have tiny "WE" reporting marks.

Date: 05/29/23 20:47
Author: IC1038west

JGFuller Wrote:
> If I were in possession of a Track Warrant or OCS
> Clearance that specified "After the arrival of IC
> 2724 ...", I'd be hard-pressed to identify this as
> the above-mentioned unit. 
>
> Oh, wait ... there it is! "IC" in very small
> print.
>
> Why would this unit not be identified as "CN
> 2724", since it has "CN" in very large print on
> its side?

The 2002 contractual agreement between the IC unions and the carrier contained a side letter that the IC territory trains would be equipped with locomotives on the point with available and active working air conditioners.  The carrier agreed to an additional 10% availability per year, scheduled to complete the contractual obligation by 2012.  These units were part of a delivery that assisted the carrier in reaching the AC goals for the IC contracts for that time period.  

Date: 05/30/23 04:40
Author: okcrr

pbouzide Wrote:
> ISO containers westbound into Denver is
> interesting. Depicts a shift to east coast ports I
> suppose. I wonder if this train was all IM or a
> mix of IM and carload given the North Platte
> origin,

they have had an available lane for IM service between Houston/Chicago and Denver. I think it is international only. I guess it is a Chicago-Bay Area train that drops a cut of cars in North Platte. I was wondering how they got them to Denver from there, I assumed it was on a manifest train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds