Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CNW Heritage in Western Colorado

Date: 05/26/23 19:40
CNW Heritage in Western Colorado
Author: SP8595

Union Pacific SD70ACe #1995, the Chicago & North Western Heritage painted engine was the leader on a Westbound empty coal train this past Tuesday, running from Denver to Grand Jct. and then down the N. Fork Branch to the W. Elk coal mine. I got up early and headed East out of Grand Jct. traveling over to the crew change point at Bond in the hopes of an early morning run.

1) I passed this Wildcat, UT to St. James, LA loaded Oil train heading Eastbound at Parachute so a quick jump off of I-70 at the Rulison exit to grab this shot of the UP 8055 leading with Norfolk Southern ET44AC #3679 second engine.

2) The Colorado version of the Rocky Mountaineer was parked on their service track at Glenwood Springs with the cool looking GP40's in nice light. It overnights here both on the Westbound and Eastbound runs but on this day when it was heading Eastbound back to Denver, departure from Glenwood wasn't going to be until 11 in the morning.

3) I arrived at Bond but couldn't find the train there or at Orestod, the common location to park Westbound trains so I headed over to the next siding to the East at Yarmony and found the train parked. Finally after an almost 3 hour wait, the train departed and is seen at the W. switch running alongside the Colorado River.

------------------------Two More Pictures Posted Below-------------------------

Date: 05/26/23 19:41
Re: CNW Heritage in Western Colorado
Author: SP8595

The coal train only traveled to the next siding at Orestod to wait for the Oil train and then was only going to go another 10 miles or so to Dell siding to have a lengthy wait for the Rocky Mountaineer and with high Sun angles and the chance of getting called into work, I had to leave the 1995 and hustle back down to cell phone range at Dotsero and then headed back home.

4) On the way out of Bond, a short wait yielded another shot of the 8055 on the Eastbound Oil train.

After 3 hours or so at home, I realized the 1995 would be arriving in GJ in decent afternoon light and the afternoon clouds were pretty spotty so I took off for a second time trying my luck with the 1995.  I wanted to check out a location East of De Beque but with locked gates and a walk that was a little further than I thought, I made it with less than a minute to spare!

5) Having just passed Una Siding and running at 60 MPH, the train is in dynamic braking slowing for a 30 MPH curve that is squeezed between the Bluff I am standing on and the Colorado River. I was pretty glad I made the decision at a second chance:}

Date: 05/26/23 21:05
Author: jgilmore

Terrific bunch, your shots never disappoint...

JG

Date: 05/26/23 21:14
Author: P

Nice catches

Posted from Android

Date: 05/26/23 21:16
Author: oyw

Nice work, you are da man!

Date: 05/26/23 22:14
Author: callum_out

I'll echo Bob, you da man!

Out 

Date: 05/27/23 08:56
Author: bradleymckay

oyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work, you are da man!

Ditto!

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/23 09:27
Author: texchief1

Great shots!

texchief1
RC Lundgren

Date: 05/27/23 12:15
Author: TheNavigator

Nice shots and selection of locations!
GK

Date: 05/27/23 13:00
Author: SPgoletablock

That fifth shot is ‘Over the top’, multiple meanings :)

Date: 05/27/23 17:14
Author: Rule99

Great views in some rugged country.  👍

Date: 05/27/23 17:35
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!  I also REALLY like Pic 5!!

Date: 05/27/23 19:20
Author: SCKP187

Neat shots. The last vantage point is pretty cool that you can get the entire train length
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/27/23 19:36
Author: CimaScrambler

That last shot was worth all the effort!

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds