Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Access into Clover Canyon above Caliente, NV

Date: 05/29/23 11:43
Access into Clover Canyon above Caliente, NV
Author: CimaScrambler

I may be passing through Caliente on a road trip next month, and am wondering about access into Clover Canyon, which I have not yet explored.  A while back I was told the maintainer's road into the canyon from Caliente was closed with a locked gate.  Is that still the case?  And how about the more round-about route to Barclay via Beaver Dam Road and the ranch road network in that area?  Any other routes into the area available that I've not mentioned?
Anyone with recent experience in that area, or just general knowledge care to fill me in on the current situation?
Thanks in advance,
- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 05/29/23 15:34
Re: Access into Clover Canyon above Caliente, NV
Author: robj

2021(nov): I spent most my time in rainbow or at Milford which I really liked. Heart of the Pandemic so things were kinda? plus not the best plans  but of course no motel problem.

Did venture around Clover creek.

I didn't try the maintainer road, not something I do.  Of course you can go a ways on clover creek road which gives you some canyon shots. 

Short on memory but I think? it was Barclay which took time to get in but I coming from Milford.  I followed line a ways west from road crossing there.

There were some signs that said private road which I ignored but eventually a "ranch foreman" came out and told me I had to go to  house and talk to someone and get permission.
I just said forget it and left.  I think this was phony as the road sure looked county maintained.?

Below  before I got kicked out.  Traffic at this was sporatic, I had an inside on call times at Milford and Vegas but still hard with the best "time"  run was this container train out of SLC.
Was November and days were short so I tried a few night shots, very much an amateur, I guess 20 sec was too long even at 24mm. Could easily gone shorter, oh well.
More your thing!!!

1) Barclay?
2-3) full moon night.

Bob Jordan

Date: 05/29/23 18:30
Author: WAF

Road to Islen will get you halfway into the Canyon. Walking required to get around. Lots of tunnels nearby

Date: 05/29/23 22:27
Author: donner_dude1

5 years ago I was able to drive east from Caliente along Clover Creek road,  just east of the twin tunnels I was able to shoot a couple of e/b trains in the morning. The road was rough and crossed Clover creek a couple of times.  I don't know if if it gated now. 

I also drove into Islen (siding). A roiugh Dirt road and I recall not liking the road as I approached the tracks. Banged up my car a couple of time. You need a high clearance vehicle. I did shoot a couple of w/b trains in the afternoon just east of the Islen siding. 

I also explored the area around Barclay and I too encountered a not so friendly farmer who started yelling at me. I just waved and kept on going the other direction.

With train counts so low along the LA&SL its difficult to justify the trip there.

Most days you will get the e/b Z train in the late afternoon but it's heading the wrong direction in Clover Creek Canyon. The w/b Z/I train hits the area around noon so  the sun isn't your best friend. The rest is a crapshoot. 

Date: 05/29/23 22:43
Author: okcrr

WB Z SCLB came through at 6am as recently as a few weeks ago when I was in the area. The gate wasn't locked. Worked Valley Yard around 930am and crew change at Arden 1030am. Slightly early but have never see it at Arden past noon. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds