Home Open Account Help 132 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SP Lives on the Austin Sub...

Date: 05/30/23 11:37
SP Lives on the Austin Sub...
Author: atx_railfan

Yesterday, a friend at UP tipped me off that that day's MLDNL (Manifest, Laredo TX to North Little Rock AR) would have a solo patched SP leader. Given that there are only five SP AC44s left on UP, I really hoped I'd be able to see it. But it began to look like I would be out of luck, as a late departure from Laredo put it arriving in San Antonio close to 10 PM last night, setting it up for a nighttime run over the Austin Sub. Still, I set myself an alarm for early this morning "just in case" and figured I could get some nice morning chasing in regardless. When I woke up around 5:30 AM, I was delighted to discover that MLDNL had only just left San Antonio an hour prior and was on its way to me. I gathered my things and got to the tracks in south Austin, prepared for a chase.

1) I caught it first at the abandoned Vinson Industrial Lead in south Austin, mere minutes after sunrise. 

2) From there, I drove up to Sneed Siding, capturing it in some gorgeous golden hour morning light. 

3) After leaving Sneed, I decided to forego chasing it through Round Rock (a risky endeavour in rush hour) and head straight to US-79. I caught up with him again at Red Bud Lane in Round Rock

Date: 05/30/23 11:39
Re: SP Lives on the Austin Sub...

4) After hitting an unfortunate string of red lights leaving Round Rock, he slowed down for an approach at Hestes Siding in Hutto, allowing me to catch back up with the train.

5) I hurried over to the west end of Taylor, photographing the train again as he slowed down for the yard limits ahead.

6) Passing through Taylor Yard. 

Date: 05/30/23 11:41

7) Leaving Taylor, I got the train again just outside of Thrall.

8) I ended my chase in Thorndale, with the nice small town industrial backdrop. Trains go fast on this part of the Austin Sub. 

9) This N&W 60' boxcar was neat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/23 11:42 by atx_railfan.

Date: 05/30/23 11:44

10) When I got back into Taylor, MEGAS (Manifest, Eagle Pass TX to East St Louis IL) had arrived and was switching the yard with an AC44 and an SD70ACe. The AC44 leader is also ex-SP, and maintains its flashing dicth lights!

11-12) Soon afterwards, MEGAS left town and I caught it at a couple crossings to the east.

Date: 05/30/23 11:46

13) A fresh C60AC rebuild was the MEGAS' DPU

14) Driving back into Taylor, I caught Amtrak 22 departing, seen here crossing US-79

15) Just as I was getting ready to head back to Austin, a rock train approached the yard and I snapped a quick shot under the Main St overpass.

Overall, it was a fantastic morning of trains and the SP leader could very well be the last chance I get. Thanks for viewing!

Date: 05/30/23 12:00
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, atx!

texchief1
RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 05/30/23 18:05
Author: SP8595

Great catch and shots on the SPatch! Dig all the boxcars on the 6197 as well.

Date: 05/30/23 20:44
Author: Gonut1

Nice! 
My sister and husband lived just off Red Bud Lane about 25 years ago. Seeing your post triggered a memory. We drove from our mid-Atlantic home to visit as my parents who lived in Round Rock. Mom had terminal cancer and we wanted to visit with our kids while she was still with us. One evening, well after dark, as we left my sister's home on Evergreen Drive and down Red Bud Lane we were stopped at the crossing near U.S. 79 when a UP train crossed in my headlights. This was the first UP loco and train I ever saw and also the first with reflective stripes. 
 During that visit we rode the Zilker Zephyr in Austin. We first saw it on a TV show as an Amtrak painted amusement park loco on cable TV! My sister said it was in Austin. 
 It was many years later after Dad remarried and he passed in 2008 we again visited Austin spending time with my Dad's wife, my sister, and her children. We again rode the repainted Zilker Zephyr. It was in the upper 90 degrees and downright hot for us as it was March and 30 degrees at home.
 At the time my sister lived in South Austin, not sure where at this point. Both sisters are now located in Arizona. My Dad's wife was living in Leander. Dad and wife are now both interred in the Cemetary in Liberty Hill by the Austin and Northwestern.
The Zephyr has been renamed repainted and its route shortened since, a shame.
Gonut

Date: 05/31/23 12:38
Author: PasadenaSub

Great catch with the patched SP and nice photos all!

Rich

Date: 06/02/23 16:13
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1106 seconds