Home Open Account Help 134 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Trestle Fire- Corning, CA

Date: 05/31/23 17:29
Trestle Fire- Corning, CA
Author: ross

Fully involved trestle fire just south of Corning, CA on CFNR tracks. Per incident command, trestle is 100% involved into the wildland. 

EDIT: Kirkwood Rd @ Hall Creek for map reference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/23 17:30 by ross.

Date: 05/31/23 18:51
Re: Trestle Fire- Corning, CA
Author: webmaster

I went looking for it on Google Maps to see what it was and I could not find an all wood trestle. 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/31/23 19:11
Author: Gonut1

I see three bridges in the Corning area. They all have concrete piers and appear to be ballasted multiple short wood deck spans. Another common misuse of the word trestle in describing all nature of bridges.
I suppose it is one of these. The longest is just north of Brannin Creek which crosses under the railroad and road in hwat appears to be a syphon on a man made irrigation canal. The wood span crosses a much smaller body of water. Whatever it could be a problem serving customers if a bridge is out.
Gonut

Date: 05/31/23 19:27
Author: TCnR

Apparently its called the Kirkwood fire. The info I'm finding says the whole trestle was on fire at 5:20 and everybody has already gone home at 7:13, so there's more to the story...somewhere.

Theres another nearby fire on the wrong side of I-5. The source is a listing based on radio traffic, so there could be some wrong info in there.

+ Watch Duty Fire website calls it at the crossroads of Kirkwood and Capay road, which is the location of a small town called Kirkwood. I'm not seeing names of creeks on google maps. Interesting excercise to find the online sources for the year, they seem to change often. They say they are in mop up at this time, so somebody is listening to a radio feed and updating the text.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/23 19:42 by TCnR.

Date: 05/31/23 19:55
Author: ross

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently its called the Kirkwood fire. The info
> I'm finding says the whole trestle was on fire at
> 5:20 and everybody has already gone home at 7:13,
> so there's more to the story...somewhere.
>
> Theres another nearby fire on the wrong side of
> I-5. The source is a listing based on radio
> traffic, so there could be some wrong info in
> there.
>
> + Watch Duty Fire website calls it at the
> crossroads of Kirkwood and Capay road, which is
> the location of a small town called Kirkwood. I'm
> not seeing names of creeks on google maps.
> Interesting excercise to find the online sources
> for the year, they seem to change often. They say
> they are in mop up at this time, so somebody is
> listening to a radio feed and updating the text.

For an update- Yes on Brannin Creek. I was mistaken on Hall Creek. I did a looksie as well in the area, couldn't find any trestle. I concur with the replies on which bridge it likely would be. Corning does still have a few customers, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/23 19:55 by ross.

Date: 05/31/23 20:11
Author: callum_out

Corning has two key customers, the Sierra Pacific door and window plant up at Richfield and the Bell-Carter olive plant in
Corning. Bell-Carter could truck but they're a loyal rail customer so I'm sure they'll get prompt attention.

Out 

Date: 06/01/23 16:44
Re: Trestle Fire- Corning, CA and photo
Author: TCnR

Note the bridge has a ballasted wood deck but the supports are concrete, similar to many on that district.

"The incident occurred on Kirkwood and Capay roads just south of Corning.

There was minimal spread to surrounding vegetation, according to officials. However, a significant amount of the bridge was burned.

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/several-units-respond-to-a-fully-involved-train-trestle-bridge-fire-south-of-corning#

image courtesy of CAL FIRE Tehama-Glenn Unit Facebook

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/23 16:45 by TCnR.

Date: 06/01/23 17:04
Re: Trestle Fire- Corning, CA and photo

Hardly a case of spontaneous combustion!

Out 

Date: 06/01/23 19:16
Author: dancollins3

It is Covered on the KSHL Chico news website.

Date: 06/01/23 20:15

Maybe the line to Gerber gets some use, guess the bridge is still in one piece.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds