Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Massive 162-car H-GFDNTW departing Grand Forks, ND w/ ACe leader.

Date: 06/01/23 20:00
Massive 162-car H-GFDNTW departing Grand Forks, ND w/ ACe leader.
Author: jmulhol2

A massive 162-car (660 total axles) eastbound (geographically southbound) Grand Forks, ND --to-- Northtown, MN mixed manifest freight train in a 2x0 configuration is seen here slowly passing MP97 on the BNSF Hillsboro Subdivision in Grand Forks, ND during the hot mid-afternoon hours of 06/01/2023. Upon approach into Dilworth, MN, the BNSF Grand Forks Dispatcher had to give the crew aboard this train both a high wind warning and a flash flood warning for strong thunderstorms in the general Fargo, ND area. The crew was then instructed to hold at East Bison (just north of Fargo, ND) before coming into the yard up the middle and setting the head 47-cars out to 502 track before taking the power back to the train. Note the smoky EMD SD70ACe-leader, along with the fellow GE ES44C4, emerge from behind an old boxcar (that has been setout on a spur track for over a month's time now), as both motors try desperately to get their long and heavy train behind them up to track speed.

Train symbol: H-GFDNTW

Power:
BNSF #9114 (EMD SD70ACe; built: 10/2012)
BNSF #6739 (GE ES44C4; built: ??/????) 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/23 20:12 by jmulhol2.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/01/23 20:05
Re: Massive 162-car H-GFDNTW departing Grand Forks, ND w/ ACe lea
Author: Soo715

Thanks for sharing. At times in the recent past I think you have shared videos or photos of a H-GFRBRC (Grand Forks to Chicago/Belt Railway of Chicago). Is that train now just running as a train to Northtown? Or are there two separate trains? Both daily? Consistent timing for departures?

Sorry, lots of questions!

Date: 06/01/23 20:08

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. At times in the recent past I
> think you have shared videos or photos of a
> H-GFRBRC (Grand Forks to Chicago/Belt Railway of
> Chicago). Is that train now just running as a
> train to Northtown? Or are there two separate
> trains? Both daily? Consistent timing for
> departures?
>
> Sorry, lots of questions!

Thank you for checking out my video and for the questions! There usually are two separate daily trains, the H-GFDNTW and H-GFDBRC, at any given time of the day (i.e., no real schedule). On rare occasions I've seen them run a H-GFDKCK as well. 

Date: 06/01/23 20:21
Author: Soo715

Good to know! Thanks for your response and info on an interesting place that not many people visit or post about.

I've been trying to track the manifests between Grand Forks and Superior. (HGFDSUP/HSUPGFD) and have a friend near the Cass Lake division point who has been giving me info. They seemed to become very rare over the last year, maybe one or two a week. This used to be a daily train and the route also had unit trains. Now I worry that the line is close to abandonment. Any insights on current traffic levels?  Perhaps my info is outdated and things have picked back up?

Date: 06/01/23 20:41
Author: goneon66

great video and info.  thanks for showing the entire train............

Date: 06/02/23 17:18
Author: tomstp

Would like to know the tonnage and how much speed that train averaged.  2 engines and 166 cars, it's a cinch it never got up to track speed and stayed there.

Date: 06/02/23 20:33

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to know! Thanks for your response and info on
> an interesting place that not many people visit or
> post about.
>
> I've been trying to track the manifests between
> Grand Forks and Superior. (HGFDSUP/HSUPGFD) and
> have a friend near the Cass Lake division point
> who has been giving me info. They seemed to become
> very rare over the last year, maybe one or two a
> week. This used to be a daily train and the route
> also had unit trains. Now I worry that the line is
> close to abandonment. Any insights on current
> traffic levels?  Perhaps my info is outdated and
> things have picked back up?

Yeah, the H-GFDSUP and H-SUPGFD trains were even taking the longer route via Dilworth, MN a few weeks ago sadly. There is the rare unit grain (to Superior, WI), unit blade (not sure where to), etc., trains once in a blue moon, but the line is mostly relgated to a local or two and the occasional H-GFDSUP and H-SUPGFD trains. I've once seen a geo train on that line as well and even a Cohasset, MN coal load since Dilworth, MN was out of crews to take it the normal routing. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0569 seconds