Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cross Country Drive - Part 8 (Western CO and UT)

Date: 09/16/23 20:19
Cross Country Drive - Part 8 (Western CO and UT)
Author: dwatry

After leaving Pueblo, we sped up our pace a little and so photo opportunities were sparser.  Here's a few highlights from across western CO and Utah.  BTW saw very few trains past Salt Lake City all the way to the Bay Area, despite being on I-80 for the entire way, right next to the railroad.   And the ones we did see were impossible to get to, so no photos past Salt Lake!

1) From Pueblo up to Minturn CO we paralleled the mothballed Tennessee Pass line the whole way.  This was the first time I have ever seen this line, and I have to say I really wish I had made an effort to see this line while it was still operating.  Spectacular scenery!  But the line is slowly being reclaimed by nature and the elements.   Here's a shot along the Arkansas River near Cotopaxi CO. 
2)  Heading west from Minturn, we saw several trains on the former D&RGW mainline in quick succession, including a westbound local, so we got off at Parachute CO to shoot a photo of the train.  While waiting for the local, we were surprised by a late eastbound Amtrak #6 California Zephyr really moving! 
3)  And here is the westbound local coming into Parachute. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/23 20:45 by dwatry.

Date: 09/16/23 20:24
Re: Cross Country Drive - Part 8 (Western CO and UT)

4) UTA Siemens LRV 1016 heading southbound at Murray UT, which is a transfer point to the Frontrunner commuter rail.
5) UTA Frontrunner arriving in Murray UT, heading south.
6)  Westbound UP freight heading through Provo. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/23 20:24 by dwatry.

Date: 09/16/23 20:35

7) UTA Frontrunner in Provo - the southern terminal of the service.
8) Other end of the line - northern terminus in Ogden.
9)  Same Frontrunner train departing south out of Salt Lake City toward Provo.   (Thanks atsf121 for correction on location.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/23 12:21 by dwatry.

Date: 09/17/23 07:38
Author: atsf121

Nice series dwatry.  I haven't been to Provo for a bit, the pedestrian bridge is new and a nice addition for those that use the station.

Nathan

Date: 09/17/23 12:58
Author: dan

see any loose dog collars at parachute, i lost one there on the sixth

Date: 09/17/23 16:12

Sorry no dog collars...

Date: 09/17/23 16:35
Author: dan

tanks!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds