Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Boxcars and Warehouses: A Rarity Today

Date: 09/17/23 11:41
Boxcars and Warehouses: A Rarity Today
Author: spider1319

BNSF Pasco switch job still spots warehouses today at the Port of Pasco in Washington State. .Seen below is an example of that effort and a reminder of what was once a railroad staple.The first image is the switch engine shoving to spot at Mid Columbia Warehouse at the Port of Pasco.Image number two is the job spotting em up.And the third image shows the job pulling out with the empties.All from the Summer of 23 Bill Webb

Date: 09/17/23 11:43
Re: Boxcars and Warehouses: A Rarity Today
Author: goneon66

is there just a conductor on this job or does he get a brakeman?

Date: 09/17/23 12:24

Totally conventional.Engineer ,Yard Foreman and Helper.Union Pacific in the PNW has eliminated the braleman and helper on many assignments.Bill Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/23 12:25 by spider1319.

Date: 09/17/23 12:33
Author: texchief1

Nice coverage, Bill!

texchief1

Date: 09/17/23 13:01
Author: coach

spider1319 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Totally conventional.Engineer ,Yard Foreman and
> Helper.Union Pacific in the PNW has eliminated the
> braleman and helper on many assignments.Bill Webb

Wait--what??!?!  Then how does UP get the work done???  That's crazy!

Date: 09/17/23 13:15

I have heard it is taking longer.I wish this wasn't true because it will hurt the loose carload business.Bill Webb

Date: 09/17/23 15:27
Author: Ritzville

Very cool series!!

Larry

Date: 09/17/23 16:14
Author: MEKoch

UP et al do not want loose car railroading.  Bad service will hopefully eliminate it..................

Date: 09/17/23 19:00
Author: bluesman

Rail service as it ought to be.

Date: 09/17/23 19:42
Author: Gonut1

In the early Seventies I worked adjacent to a rather small warehouse that reportedly handled imported Silverware and China. Not too often, maybe every two weeks or so they would receive a boxcar. It was great to watch the Reading RR crew and then the Conrail crew with a pair of SW type switchers and a "NE Caboose" deliver a boxcar. Usually they were wrong way around and would do a Dutch Drop to deliver. I even saw a push-pole used to clear the siding when a reluctant empty boxcar didn't roll clear of the switch. Certainly different times than the litigiuous over bearings we now endure. Oh! Gee, that was 53 years ago. What am I thinking? That was back in the Dark Ages! The warehouse and the branchline are long gone. Sigh!
Nice current reminder of hat used to was.
Gonut

Date: 09/17/23 20:55
Author: NWRail

Across the street from the east end of the Pasco yard, Darigold is building a large production facility.  It will have a rail spur connected to BNSF.  https://www.tricitiesbusinessnews.com/2023/01/darigold-tracks/

Date: 09/17/23 23:14
Author: cewherry

Working ‘spot’ jobs could be the most rewarding—or most challenging experience I experienced as an engineer. It all depended on the ground crew, the type of cars being handled—standard draft gear or so-called ‘hydra cushion’ and of course, the braking ability of the engine. All involved had to be up to the task. When everything “clicked” spotting could be a joy. If one element was missing or not paying attention—a real pain. Wouldn’t mind doing shift or two again.

Charlie

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/23 23:31
Author: shortlineboss

What is in the boxcars?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds