Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Train viewing in Cheyenne, Wyoming

Date: 09/17/23 13:04
Train viewing in Cheyenne, Wyoming
Author: sparky52t

I'm going to be spending a day in Cheyenne and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good train viewing sites and/or museums open on a Wednesday? 

Thank you in advance for your gracious help! 

Tom

Date: 09/17/23 13:50
Re: Train viewing in Cheyenne, Wyoming
Author: dan

C&S bridge , c&s yard can be seen from I25 shoulder, north of I80  archer east of town, west of town otto road, hell just go up to ames monument, drive past it check out rails, tie siding and laramie

downtown central ave viaduct , the station, restaurant, museum, south of town nice visitors center, and switching operation with a few units present near Speer, Greeley has the model train museum

should be nice this week..i would find a train and follow it any direction, lots of  things to do.   big boy in the park

C&S line north of town is scenic if you see a train depart going north, you have to get around a large area where it out of site till Federal, they take awhile to get up there

Date: 09/17/23 13:52

Date: 09/17/23 13:53

Thanks for the assist! I'll give it a go! 

Date: 09/17/23 16:17
Author: TCnR

Add Otto road, to the west of town right next to the tracks for a few miles. Lighting is usually on the wrong side but it's an interesting place to pace a train. The Depot Museum sounds like a good afternoon for train watching, although I haven't been there.

If you don't know the roads and the property owners Sherman Hill is tough to photograph. Lots of stories in the TO archives. Ames monument is interesting and an interesting back story about the original mainline, but the present tracks are a few miles away.

There's a couple of cross roads for the BNSF south of the state line, also the hill on the south side of town. Guernsey, Chugwater and Horse Creek are all long drives.

Have been looking for somewhere to post this photo.

Date: 09/17/23 17:38
Author: Lackawanna484

Is the observation room at the west end of the Cheyenne depot / museum still open to the public?  That was a pleasant place to sit on a second  floor level and watch trains.

There is (was?) a brewpub at the east end of the station. Nice outdoor terrace adjacent to the crew change location.

Date: 09/17/23 19:22
Author: dougd

Follow a train west up Otto Road then cross I-80 up Sherman Hill  to Granite Good shots then  all the way to Buford at top of the hill about 20  mi , then catch one coming down

Date: 09/17/23 20:04

not that many go west on the old lines with psr, they do the new line

Date: 09/18/23 07:25
Author: DRGWK59

Yes the Observation Lounge on the second floor is open during regular hours, 9am - 5pm Mon thru Friday, 9am to 3pm Saturday and 11am to 3pm on Sunday!  There is also a GREAT HOn3 layout on the second floor and there is usually a GREAT CREW there on Wednesday all day to run trains!  There is an admission charge, $10 for adults($9 for seniors and military), $5 for teens and children free!  Memberships available also.

Disclaimer, I am an active volunteer at the Cheyenne Depot Museum and a member of the Depot!  I usually work Fridays.

David Ketchum
Cheyenne WY

Date: 09/18/23 16:35

Good deal! I'll check it out!

Date: 10/15/23 07:20

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions for my visit to Cheyenne. Here's are some photos from my trip. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds