Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CP diversion, the full chase

Date: 09/19/23 06:07
CP diversion, the full chase
Author: santafe199

A few days ago I chased a CP unit leading a train over my former Santa Fe working territory. Here’s a link to a preliminary shot: ( CP diversion from the scanner (trainorders.com) ). It was pretty interesting to see a BNSF train with a Canadian Pacific unit leading and a Union Pacific unit trailing, coming off ex-Rock Island trackage, turning onto ex-Santa Fe trackage. It seems like anything goes, these days...

1. & 2. The chase gets started in this 24mm wide angle shot. The grain empty is coming over Chicago St, the main drag in Lost Springs. CP 8177 is the start of the show, and is...

3. ...now poking its nose around what was once a connection track between the BNSF (AT&SF) & UP (CRI&P). In 2006(?) the east end of the Strong City Sub was torn out between Lost Springs & Neva down on the main line, making this connection the de facto new east end of the Sub.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/23 06:12 by santafe199.

Date: 09/19/23 06:07
Re: CP diversion, the full chase

4. Here is the 8177 + entourage cruising to a quick stop at the Upland Rd crossing west of town. Train length permitting, this is where a crew van will return the conductor after relining the switch back on the UP main line.
Photos 1-4 taken in or near Lost Springs, KS.

Date: 09/19/23 06:10

5. I really like shooting this sweeping curve on the approach to the UP (ex-Rock Island GSR) crossing which used to be called Jacobs, KS. Evidently Mr Cloud also liked this spot... ;^)

6. & 7. CP 8177 splits the twin elevators at Navarre, KS. It is a middle shot of this sequence that you see in the link.

Date: 09/19/23 06:11

8. Pacing the train, here’s a grab shot at the Mink Rd crossing north of Navarre.

9. & 10. Running out of daylight hear are 2 shots passing by the ancient depot in Abilene, KS. In image #10 that’s the St Andrews Catholic Church spire above the train.
All photos taken September 12, 2023.

Thanks for the heads up! (you know who you are... ;^)
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 09/19/23 09:21
Author: BoostedFridge

Great series!  I really like #6, going through that sag.  Your composition in #9 as well.

Date: 09/19/23 10:27

BoostedFridge Wrote: > ...I really like #6, going through that sag ...

Yeah, it's a pretty cool shot for late afternoons/evenings. The track runs a tiny bit WNW right there. I've never been there early enough on a summer morning to see what kind of shot there is from the other side of the crossing. And back in my Santa Fe days I rode that piece of track numerous times, but never once thought about driving up there to shoot trains coming through the elevator complex. Go figure... :^(

Lance/199

Date: 09/19/23 11:23
Author: UP951West

Fine CPKC set , Lance. Thanks. 

Date: 09/19/23 12:27

UP951West Wrote: > ...CPKC ...

Yeah, dang it! I guess I need to buckle down and get used to the idea that it's no longer CP or KCS. Gonna be hard to teach this old dog a new trick...

woof...

Date: 09/19/23 17:36
Author: bobk

Fantastic series!

Date: 09/20/23 06:26
Author: SP8595

Great series! Pool is Cool:}

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.093 seconds