Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > DT Chelsea-El Dorado

Date: 09/30/23 17:56
DT Chelsea-El Dorado
Author: GN1969

Has BNSF cut over the new 2nd track between Chelsea and El Dorado?

Date: 09/30/23 18:14
Re: DT Chelsea-El Dorado
Author: Milw_E70

GN1969 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has BNSF cut over the new 2nd track between
> Chelsea and El Dorado?

Yes

Date: 10/01/23 04:51
Author: dpc37

So are these the crossovers between El Dorado and Ellinor?
El Dorado  MP 172.8
Aikman     MP 156.2
Orient       MP 143.5
Flint          MP 134.3
Elliner       MP 124.7

Date: 10/01/23 07:31
Author: santafe199

dpc37 Wrote: > ... So are these the crossovers ...

You're kinda-sorta on the right track. In westward order (using your Emporia Sub M.P. references):
Ellinor        MP 124.7
Flint           MP 134.3 (EE Bazar)
Aikman      MP 156.2
El Dorado  MP 172.8 (Formerly "Tower B" in the SFe days)

There is also a brand new set of crossovers at the site of old Chelsea siding. (M.P. 165.3)

You mentioned "Orient" at MP 143.5, which corresponds to the actual teeny-tiny town of Matfield Green. There are indeed plans to build a new set of cross-overs right in the middle of (ahem) "greater downtown Matfield Green". But so far all that has been done is a general distribution of construction material (ballast) & some future signal hardware. The name "Orient" was the original BNSF name for what became "Flint". If this name is now being considered for this new crossover plant, I haven't heard such.. By tradition, short & easy-to-use location names have been used by the RR industry. This practice runs way back to the lightning-slinger, Morse code communication days. But it looks like the new X-over plant will still be named "Matfield Green". A nice bit of nostalgia for those of us whose have been shooting the Flint Hills since the 70s... :^)

Date: 10/01/23 07:52

Thanks Lance 
Do you know how the are doing between West Augusta and East Junction?
Isn't that supposed to be done this year?

Date: 10/01/23 08:27

dpc37 Wrote: > ... between West Augusta and East Junction ...

I've just heard that last leg has been put on hold, at least until next year...

Lance

Date: 10/01/23 16:14
Author: Milw_E70

Just a quick correction, Flint was the original name for the x-overs at East Bazar, then a few individuals with the right pull got them to rename it Orient, a sort of tribute to the former KCM&O. For reasons unbeknownst to me (although I have my own opinion on it) they reverted back to the name Flint at the last minute. Presently there are a pair of bi-directional absolute signals named CP 1443 at the planned location for the Matfield Green x-overs. The x-overs at Chelsea and Matfield Green were last minute additions to the "master plan".

Grading is complete from West Augusta to Rose Hill and roughly halfway complete from Rose Hill to East Jct. The timeline for completion seems to change on a weekly basis

Date: 10/01/23 19:27

Milw_E70 Wrote: > ... Flint was the original name for the x-overs at East Bazar ...

Aha... and I thought it was Orient all along...

Lance (SFe class of '78)

Date: 10/02/23 05:50

Thanks for the clarification guys I had most of it right. David

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds