Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Up ex dividend rate.

Date: 02/24/24 15:14
Up ex dividend rate.
Author: yes

N the news about suspension of dividend rate any body hear this.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/24/24 16:59
Re: Up ex dividend rate.
Author: engineerinvirginia

yes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> N the news about suspension of dividend rate any
> body hear this.
>
> Posted from Android

Hmmm....that's creepy....CSX went up a penny to 12 cents a share recently!

Actually I can find nothing....google it and you see they still have a dividend and no mention of suspension....however the ex dividend date is the day by which you have to own shares to receive that quarter's dividend. That's not a suspension, but a cutoff date to buy shares expecting to get the latest dividend...if you are past the ex dividend date you WILL get the next quarter's dividend however, 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/24 17:03 by engineerinvirginia.

Date: 02/24/24 19:32
Author: cchan006

yes Wrote:
> N the news about suspension of dividend rate any
> body hear this.

They declared dividends on Feb 8, payable on March 29 for those who still own it on Feb 29. The dividend amount is $1.30 share, which has been the same for 2 years.

Price movement (market psychology) contradicts a dividend cut, and I've seen my share of those, and in fact, several companies did so to survive the pandemic - hint for those who want to analyze recent data.

Typically, price head down way before the news, because smart people (in contrast to the idiots) figure it out with their own analyses, and start selling early. The fall off a cliff price drop (double digit %) usually happen when the dividend cut is announced, and no such thing on UNP recently.

Whoever is starting this rumor needs to do a better job. I want that person to succeed - it's entertainment to watch financial bloodbath of idiots by a stupid rumor. :-)

Date: 02/25/24 05:45
Author: dragoon

buy the rumor, sell the fact

Date: 02/25/24 07:10
Author: WrongWayMurphy

No suspension, March divi 1.30 per share, got message about it Wednesday.

Date: 02/25/24 08:21

dragoon Wrote:
> buy the rumor, sell the fact

Haha. It's basically a phrase used by non-participants or newbies now.

Thanks to "technology" like social media, electronic surveillance, and whatever, "rumors" are far more sophisticated and targeted than "Blue Horseshoe loves Bluestar Airlines." If you don't know this Hollywood reference, you have a lot to learn regarding how the stock market works. Anyway, mysterious articles would show up during my financial research that these 2 companies "might" merge, and that was likely triggered by my Internet search history stored by Big Data. I knew from real information that it was unlikely, and I was correct. It's possible the "article" was trying to sucker me (and others with similar Big Data profiles) to "buy on rumor." 

Here's better advice than that tired old saying. Get your own information. That's what I did when I railfanned California's Central Valley during the Great Recession (2008-2009) and despite financial media's doom and gloom, I was pondering why so many trains (with B, C sections as well as Extras) ran on UP's Fresno Sub, and BNSF's Stockton Sub. Conclusion - it was a white collar recession, not a blue collar one. So I bought BNI (BNSF) and UNP (Union Pacific). While luck had a lot to do with it, you can do the math and analysis on what happened to those stocks since then.

I guess doing the leg work (dealing with reality) instead of being lazy at home with the Internet (fake news) is another advice.

The Hollywood reference clearly shows how Gordon Gekko taught Bud Fox how to "get your own information." Many thanks to Oliver Stone, the film director for this.

Date: 02/25/24 09:00
Author: DD40

Sounds like the original poster doesn't know what the ex-dividend date  refers to.

Date: 02/25/24 09:26
Author: Drknow

I didn’t know so many brokers and fiduciaries frequented this site. Interesting.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/25/24 09:37
Author: engineerinvirginia

Drknow Wrote:
> I didn’t know so many brokers and fiduciaries
> frequented this site. Interesting.
>
> Regards
>
> Posted from iPhone

If you invest, you better know what you are doing. 

Date: 02/25/24 10:05
Author: Typhoon

Drknow Wrote:
>
> Regards
>
> Posted from iPhone

If you are a class one railroader, and have not been investing in you company over the last 30 years, your leaving a lot of money on the table.

If you are investing your money in the market, you better pay attention to what the market is doing.

Date: 02/25/24 10:25

Drknow Wrote:

Nope. Brokers and fiduciaries won't discuss these details. They sell their products, so they paint a far rosier picture. Consider this when you search for a financial planner when you retire. It's not recommended you "plan your own retirement" if the details dicussed here is news to you. I've been watching with cynicism for the last 2 decades already.

Date: 02/26/24 21:19
Author: Drknow

I also guess my sarcasm was lost in translation.

Trust no one, the truth is out there.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.078 seconds