Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Texas Panhandle on fire...

Date: 02/29/24 18:16
Texas Panhandle on fire...
Author: santafe199

Just curious: How much, if any, effect has this had on the RRs in the area?

Lance/199

Date: 02/29/24 18:17
Re: Texas Panhandle on fire...
Author: dan

Date: 02/29/24 20:04
Author: santafe199

Thanks! I didn't look back far enough...

Date: 02/29/24 21:25
Author: MrMRL

40 out of 42 mainline trains (way) behind schedule between Amarillo, TX and Wellington, KS at the moment. Seems to lean to the extreme side...

Gotta love them Long-pools... soon as they stop "barely making-it", then the already thin extra boards become exhausted in a flash just trying to dog-catch the DOLs.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 02/29/24 21:45
Author: dan

the single tracked bridge still that way?

Date: 03/01/24 00:04
Author: Seventyfive

Thirty years ago I was dispatching the Panhandle Sub.  Wow, it sure looks different now; look at all that double track!
There were times when I had almost as many trains as shown above, but it was all single track from Pampa to Waynoka,
with a small piece of double track at Higgins.  Good luck to the dispatchers there now.

Date: 03/01/24 05:07
Author: texchief1

Still single track at Alva, OK.  Everything else is two tracks.

texchief1
dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the single tracked bridge still that way?

Date: 03/01/24 05:49
Author: bmarti7

Date: 03/01/24 07:11
Author: randgust

It's a completely different world on detours and reroutes than in was in earlier times.   You don't have qualified crews for districts, or dispatchers, or pretty much of anything except track on a map.  Maybe.
The last HUGE detour run I was witness to was when Conrail had the ex-NYC main collapse along the lake in March 1987 and they had to detour everything over the ex-EL main line and NS.  They doubled trains together.   Fleeted them east and west, shuttled tower operators around, used pilots, pulled every trick in the book and did it, and for two weeks the old EL was a subway, and I was 'that railfan' allowed in the tower listening to all of it.   That kind of thinking on your feet just doesn't exist like that anymore even if the track is still there and even if detour plans are made on paper.

Date: 03/01/24 07:35
Author: MrMRL

Just for clarification... BNSF's Canadian River Bridge (actually two separate bridges) typically allows for double-track mainline operations. One of the two bridges (Main 2) is still out of service due to the impacts of the regions wildfires.

On the other hand, the Salt Fork Arkansas River Bridge near Alva, OK is still a lone single-track mainline bridge. The provided track chart in my post above shows this little strip of single-track between Brink and Noel.

~ Mr. MRL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/24 07:37 by MrMRL.

Date: 03/01/24 08:45
Author: mapboy

I’m surprised to see the hot Z-LACWSP2-27 on the chart, it should be long gone.  Past the Flagstaff railcam, it was 4 1/2 hours ahead of the Z-LACWSP1-27, Z-SBDWSP1-27, Z-LACLPK6-27 and Z-LACNYC1-27, and they are not on here.  Some eastbound Zs and Qs have detoured Amarillo-Fort Worth.

mapboy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/24 09:10 by mapboy.

Date: 03/01/24 09:00
Author: ExStarlightHog

I'm sure the TX panhandle would love to be having the weather NoCal is getting right now.  That would be the end of that million acre fire. 

Date: 03/01/24 09:54
Author: Pacific5th

MrMRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 40 out of 42 mainline trains (way) behind schedule
> between Amarillo, TX and Wellington, KS at the
> moment. Seems to lean to the extreme side...
>
> Gotta love them Long-pools... soon as they stop
> "barely making-it", then the already thin extra
> boards become exhausted in a flash just trying to
> dog-catch the DOLs.
>
> ~ Mr. MRL

40 or 42? hell thats good for the North lines LOL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds