Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF in Sandpoint, Idaho

Date: 03/25/24 22:12
BNSF in Sandpoint, Idaho
Author: rcdpubs

Took a chance trip to Idaho from Arizona a week ago and caught some terrific train action in Sandpoint. The new double track bridge over Lake Pend Oreille was completed last summer and is now in full operation. The snow had melted and spring had sprung while I was there. Driving north from Spokane into Sandpoint was able to catch this eastbound merchandise train crossing over the bridge (3rd photo). Besides the fantastic scenery, two MRL SD70ACe's were part of the motive power set and later learned that BNSF is using them as pool power on their trains in the region. In the middle photo, we scampered to the east end of the bridge and caught the same train as it approached and slipped by on its way north. Just a few minutes later this eastbound empty unit coal train approached with a 700-series Warbonnet C44-9W on the point (top photo). It was quite a treat and reminded me of home on the old Santa Fe in Kingman, Arizona. In all, four trains passed by in just 30 minutes! Anyway, it was a homecoming day for me to my old haunts seeing real unit grain, merchandise and oil trains instead of the endless parade of intermodals at home. Come summertime, it's back to Ideeho chasing the BNSF from the Columbia River to Marias Pass. Robert C. Del Grosso 

Date: 03/25/24 22:48
Re: BNSF in Sandpoint, Idaho
Author: E25

'Better weather than we've had in your home state lately!

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/24 22:49 by E25.

Date: 03/26/24 09:29
Author: TCnR

Good stuff, some of the first photos of the rebuilt bridge that I've seen.
There's lots of visible changes to the Sandpoint area, those houses on the hill sure make a statement.
Good to hear you're still out and about.
t4p.

Date: 03/26/24 16:17
Author: bobk

Nice shots!

Date: 03/27/24 05:47
Author: march_hare

I'd love to rent one of those houses for a week. I wonder if any are available on AirBNB. 

Date: 03/27/24 18:30
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds