Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dependable Transportation on Donner Pass

Date: 03/27/24 08:04
Dependable Transportation on Donner Pass
Author: broken_link

Union Pacific's "Dependable Transportation" slogan from the late 1950s might seem a little out of place in the era of PSR. ("We'll Get it There, Eventually?") The daily Z trains over Donner do seem to be pretty dependable, however. I don't know what time the eastbound ZLTG2 or westbound ZG2LT and ZG2OAB are scheduled out of Lathrop and Global 2, respectively, but I tend to see the ZLTG2 and ZG2LT trains running over Donner Pass within relatively tight windows in the mornings. (I would often see the ZG2OAB on Sunday in the afternoons or early evenings on Donner, suggesting a transit from Chicago to Oakland of around maybe 60-72 hours.)

As I was heading up to Donner Summit on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 2024, I was kind of hoping for something to follow up the Hill. So, I was happy to see the ZLTG2 moving at a good clip where the tracks briefly parallel I-80 as the rail line and interstate both pass under the Roseville Parkway. (Those familiar with the area probably know the spot.)

Photos 1 and 2: I got ahead of the train and stopped to photograph it at Newcastle, CA. The westbound ZG2LT was just drifting out of view on Main 2 as the as the ZLTG2 led by UP 7978 and a friendly crew came into view on Main 1. I'll call this one a just missed meet.

Continued...

Date: 03/27/24 08:05

Photos 3 and 4: The next stop was for some quick grabs of the train moving in and out of the morning shadows at Clipper Gap. All stack trains take the steeper Main 1 between Bowman and Colfax due to tunnel clearance constraints on Main 2.

Continued…

Date: 03/27/24 08:05

Photos 5 and 6: The Roseville Sub runs north as much as it runs east from Roseville up to Emigrant Gap. I was on the east side of Colfax trying to get nose lighting of the train after it had crossed over to Main 2 at MP 140.10.

Continued…

Date: 03/27/24 08:06
Re: Dependable Transportation on Donner Pass

Photo 7: I went out to Gorge to grab one final shot of the train (with friendly waves from the conductor and engineer) before abandoning the chase in favor of getting in a bluebird afternoon snowboarding at Sugar Bowl. Railfanning up the mountain and still getting just shy of 18k feet of vertical in 3 hours 23 minutes of snowboarding in the afternoon was a win in my book.

Cheers,
Sean

Date: 03/27/24 08:37
Author: texchief1

Sean, great shots!

texchief1

Date: 03/27/24 14:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice.
JB

Date: 03/27/24 15:12
Author: MP190

Great photos AND some good snowboarding!

Date: 03/27/24 22:11
Author: mojaveflyer

Great shots! Looks like you had an excellent morning of photography....

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 03/27/24 22:31
Author: weather

Outstanding Seas, especially  First image!   great catch.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds