Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Austin Western, Chicago & North Western...

Date: 03/27/24 14:49
Austin Western, Chicago & North Western...
Author: atx_railfan

Yesterday, my childhood friend Dan took his first trip out on the Austin Western east subdivision since being hired on a few months ago. I made chase with another very close friend who's in town from college for spring break.

1) We caught up with his train near McDade. This is one of my favorite chases, and it's very easy *if* you can find a train. 

2) The lighting wasn't ideal, but I couldn't pass up a photo opportunity of his train passing a field of wildflowers in McDade

3) Passing the FM 696 grade crossing in Butler

Date: 03/27/24 14:52
Re: Austin Western, Chicago & North Western...

4) Rounding a curve near Elgin

5) Here, his train trundles past the only operational set of searchlight signals in central Texas. These signals protect the interlocker between the Austin Western and the lightly-trafficked UP Waco Sub.

6) We left his train in Elgin, with word of action brewing on the UP side of things in Austin.

Date: 03/27/24 14:54

7) With minutes to spare, we arrived at the Austin Amtrak station in time to catch UP 1995, the Chicago & Northwestern heritage unit, leading a manifest through downtown.

8) We tried to chase the train, but traffic was worse than we'd anticipated. We finally caught up with 1995 in McNeil, where we decided to give up on further chasing.

9) Fittingly, there were some CNW coal hoppers towards the end of the manifest

Date: 03/27/24 14:57

10) In Austin Western's Abbott Yard, one of their ex-NS SD60Ms idles at the engine facility. It's currently paired with PRLX 2832, one of the Western's two SD45T-2s, as a yard awitcher. 

11) After grabbing some dinner, we caught the southbound Texas Eagle and called it a day. 

Side note: if you're ever in the McNeil/north Austin/Round Rock area, Sunflower Vietnamese is some of the best food in Austin, very close to the McNeil diamonds. Not an advertisement, just a lifelong fan.

Thanks for viewing!

Date: 03/27/24 17:13
Author: Roadmaster

Are there any ex-CNW GP50's still operating on the Austin and Western?

Matthew

Date: 03/27/24 17:22
Author: texchief1

Nice set for sure, atx!  Been hearing the AW here in Elgin, but just too old and lazy to get out and shoot.  Did you notice the interlocker in Elgin?  It is different than any I've seen.  Really like the C&NW unit.  I have one on pre-order from Athearn(Genesis) to add to my collection.

Thanks for sharing.

texchief1

Date: 03/27/24 17:26

Roadmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are there any ex-CNW GP50's still operating on the
> Austin and Western?
>
> Matthew

Yes, there are two still operating. 

WAMX 5007 is in the red and silver Austin Western paint scheme still, recently got touched up in fact
WAMX 5013 is in the standard Watco colors

Both are still in service for all variety of trains- 5013 just led a rock train on the west end yesterday in fact- but all the other GP50s have been off the property for four years or so now. They've been moving heavily towards larger power- they've got a dozen or so SD60Ms now and even the SD40-2s are slowly getting sent to other properties.

Date: 03/27/24 19:51
Author: UP951West

Thanks for the shot of the searchlight signals at Elgin. I last saw them in the mid 1980's. 

Date: 03/27/24 22:01
Author: Ritzville

Very interesting series!!

Larry

Date: 03/28/24 07:38
Author: ntharalson

Nice series, thanks for posting.  Out of simple curiosity, what's the lettering on the side of the unit in the first shots.  It seems to have faded and I can't make it out.  TIA for an answer.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/28/24 17:18
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!  Pic 7 is one of my favorites!!

Date: 03/28/24 18:35
Author: millerdc

UP Elgin to Waco is former MKT.

Date: 03/29/24 02:15

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice series, thanks for posting.  Out of simple
> curiosity, what's the lettering on the side of the
> unit in the first shots.  It seems to have faded
> and I can't make it out.  TIA for an answer.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Oldcastle Materials Texas. 

They operate a couple quarries and seem to have a deal to cover the lease on a few of AWRR's locomotives- they also have a pair of SD45T-2s painted in a similar scheme on the Austin Western

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds