Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Canadian National Questions

Date: 04/02/24 17:56
Canadian National Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Evening:

I read that Canadian National won an award from UPS for having no failures during 2023. Where does CN handle UPS traffic?

To what locations do CN crews taking trains from Kirk Yard in Gary, IN go? Are they based in Gary, IN or outlying points?

How many trains run on the South Bend Subdivision through Valparaiso, IN?

Lastly, how does CN traffic from Wisconsin get to the Belt Railway of Chicago? Does it now go through Schiller Park to the IHB then onto the CN Freeport Subdivision, or does it take another route? At one time it went over the CSXT Altenheim Subdivision to 48th Street to reach the BRC.

Thank you in advance for any information. It has been a long time since being in the Chicago area, and I think the CN is now real interesting since they have integrated the EJ&E into their system.

Date: 04/02/24 18:15
Re: Canadian National Questions
Author: kevink

The few CN trains from Wisconsin destined for the BRC, get on Metra at B12 in Franklin Park and run east to Cragin where they get on the BRC.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/03/24 06:12
Author: Habu

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that Canadian National won an award from UPS for having no failures during 2023. Where does CN handle UPS traffic?

Z194 and Z195 both handle UPS traffic between Jackson, MS and Chicago, IL (much of the UPS traffic originates/terminates at Memphis, TN).

Date: 04/03/24 20:06
Author: calumet

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To what locations do CN crews taking trains from
> Kirk Yard in Gary, IN go? Are they based in Gary,
> IN or outlying points?
>
> How many trains run on the South Bend Subdivision
> through Valparaiso, IN?

From Kirk, trains go to Griffith and then can either head east on ex-GTW to Battle Creek and Canadian points
OR head  west on ex-EJE to Matteson (where they access the ex-IC main heading either south or north), OR continue further west to Joliet.  I'm not certain but I think the crews are based at Kirk.  Trains can also head west on ex-GTW at Griffith but that rarely happens.

On ex-GTW through Valpo you can expect 20-25 trains a day.

Date: 04/03/24 20:51
Author: PRR_4859

Thank you for the responses!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2288 seconds