Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Photo line mob 1985

Date: 04/07/24 13:46
Photo line mob 1985
Author: masterphots

Sherman Hill,  October 19, 1985    So well known photogs in the group   No digital kit back then  Mike Eagleson at center bottom with blue cap.

This was the UP 3985 trip where the crew got the train turned and ready to go at Laramie in record time,  so we could end up with the glint shot as the last runby.  As posted below by WoodwardEJ

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/24 18:46 by masterphots.

Date: 04/07/24 14:57
Re: Photo line mob 1982
Author: ParkSouth

Ron Hill of Denver  in blue jacket about 2-3 on left, glasses looking at camera.  Tom Klinger

Date: 04/07/24 15:33
Author: koloradokid

Strange to see all those fans and only recognize one.  I was that way too on the few fan trips I took.  Lots of fans, and no one to recognize.  Where are all these fans when a steam engine isn't involved???  I've been shooting trains on slide film and later on digital, and it is darn seldom that I see any other fans.  Not jsut recently, but for all of the 54 years!

Do others generally foam alone, or with someone other than family members?  My poor family has endured way too many hours waiting for a train, or going into areas one would not often want to go.  To them, I deeply apologize.

RR

Date: 04/07/24 15:37
Author: HotWater

I must admit that I haven't had many chances to participate in organized photo lines during steam excursions. That said, I don't recognize anybody anyway.

Date: 04/07/24 16:38
Author: nedzarp

Looks like nostalgia and history to me.

Date: 04/07/24 17:05
Author: timz

Wonder who was shooting 4x5 then.
What are they waiting on?

Date: 04/07/24 17:25
Author: cchan006

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are they waiting on?

Some sleuthing hints at UP 3985 running as coal burner. This based on the date October 19, 1985.

Date: 04/07/24 17:38
Author: WoodwardEJ

I was there that day, but I don't see myself in the photo line picture. 

Here are two shots from that day.  Sorry they're a bit fuzzy. This was also the pre-autofocus era.  

Date: 04/07/24 20:18
Author: AndyBrown

cchan006 Wrote:

> > What are they waiting on?
>
> Some sleuthing hints at UP 3985 running as coal
> burner. This based on the date October 19, 1985.

I think he means why are they "waiting" to upgrade equipment.  My take anyway.  I don't know what was shot with a "4x5" but if it's large format negatives, I've seen many impressive images scanned from such.  

Andy

Date: 04/08/24 08:00
Author: HotWater

AndyBrown Wrote:
> cchan006 Wrote:
>
> > > What are they waiting on?
> >
> > Some sleuthing hints at UP 3985 running as coal
> > burner. This based on the date October 19,
> 1985.
>
> I think he means why are they "waiting" to upgrade
> equipment.  My take anyway.  I don't know what
> was shot with a "4x5" but if it's large format
> negatives, I've seen many impressive images
> scanned from such.  
>
> Andy

Although I don't see either of them in that shot, both Victor Hand and Don Philips tended to use 4X5 cameras. In fact, I believe Vic even had a metal "rack" constructed in order to have two 4X5 cameras, one on top of the other, for B&W and color shots at the same time.

Date: 04/08/24 08:42
Author: jgilmore

koloradokid Wrote:
> Do others generally foam alone, or with someone
> other than family members?  

Nowadays, I rarely fan but when I do I'm with my wife (she's very understanding, to a point) or alone. Better that way, as there are way too many wackadoos, creeps, nerds, dorks and overbearing know-it-alls in the railfan community. I try to avoid them and the crowds. Although I have met a few nice fans and even 'fanned with some of them over the years. I also like out of the way places and photo angles.

For years I always 'fanned with either one of two really good friends and we had great times and I never felt the need to branch out to others, but some people may need to feel a connection with the hobby or other fans so I get it. Just not for me...

JG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/24 08:44 by jgilmore.

Date: 04/08/24 09:47
Author: AndyBrown

jgilmore Wrote:
>Better that way, as there are way too many
> wackadoos, creeps, nerds, dorks and overbearing
> know-it-alls in the railfan community.

Ha ha!  I think you got about everybody there.  And I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Thankfully I'm not one of the above...  :-)

Andy

Date: 04/08/24 12:24
Author: cabman

Focusing on " Ron Hill from Denver" and  jumping two people to his left, I feel sorry for the poor litttle guy with the Coke bottle glasses having the wind knocked out of him...as Rodney Dangerfield would say "whatta crowd".  And who is the beautiful blonde behind Ron??

Date: 04/10/24 07:11
Author: skyview

Great to see Ron Hill captured in this image, such a surprise to me.  Ron was a very good friend, perhaps my shooting more with Ron than any other railfan, starting in the early 1980s to a year or two before his passing.  Good capture.

I have come to appreciate shots like these, showing railfans shooting trains.  Id encourage everyone to shoot images of lines as well as single railfans shooting along the line, with time, you will appreciate these!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0797 seconds