Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Heritage Day at Shawmut AZ

Date: 04/07/24 22:01
A Heritage Day at Shawmut AZ
Author: ACR_Ted

It was a nice bright sunny day at Shawmut Sunday and the first westbound I saw had the MKT Heritage unit as a DPU.

Photo 1 - UP 7007 is rounding the curve at Shawmut - surprisingly enough the old pole line is still standing, although with some broken cross arms.
Photo 2 - Miss Katy and another unit working as mid train DPUs.
Photo 3 - The Katy unit is looking rather grubby.

~~~More~~~

Date: 04/07/24 22:05
Re: A Heritage Day at Shawmut AZ

Photo 4 - An eastbound general freight is working uphill. They will be stopping at Estrella to pick up a box car on the tail end from the set off track off Main 2.
Photo 5 - There were quite a few cars of Canadian lumber on this train.
Photo 6 - This was a really hot eastbound highballing upgrade - no PSR here! 5 6 axle engines and a fairly short train. It was going faster uphill than the westbounds going down hill.

~~~More~~~

Date: 04/07/24 22:09

Photo 7 - Same train in Photo 6 but with the wide angle zoom.

There weren't a lot of trains this day but the weather was pleasant. The desert is drying out fast and the grasses are almost browned out now. The ocotillos and creosote bushes were blooming but no wildflowers were seen.

Thanks for looking!

Ted

Date: 04/08/24 08:46
Author: jgilmore

Great bunch...

JG

Date: 04/08/24 09:18
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent location and it's always nice to see railfan efforts on the Sunset Route.  Sad to see the pole line out of service but I'm glad my friend Russ and I made our trips out there when we did.  It would still be worth going back for the scenery.

Andy

Date: 04/08/24 11:13
Author: Railfan4Christ

Great shots, Ted!

Tom

Date: 04/09/24 07:06
Author: SP8595

Awesome series!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0673 seconds