Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A few shots around Artesia NM

Date: 04/12/24 19:32
A few shots around Artesia NM
Author: jgilmore

After visiting Sitting Bull falls (yeah, an actual waterfall in the SW desert) outside Carlsbad, NM, my wife and I were headed north through eastern NM and I clicked a few RR shots around Artesia. First stop was just south of town at the Iron Horse Rail Terminal, no trains here but some power sitting on a spur, then we moved through town where the normal BNSF power set was sitting by the office (no shots) and finally headed towards Roswell where we encountered a SB freight. Not much to look at on this scenically challenged branch line...

JG

1) Iron Horse Rail Terminal has been there for about 10 years, or roughly the start of the big fracking boom in the NW part of the Permian Basin, and can handle frac sand, crude oil, water, pipe and other loads in unit train format. No action going on today, but some new power I haven't seen out here before. More info: https://ironhorsepermianbasin.com/about
2) Power set includes a CVR SD50 (ex-CNW) and a couple of ex-UP SD60Ms
3) Another view of the units

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/24 07:10 by jgilmore.

Date: 04/12/24 19:32
Re: A few shots around Artesia NM
Author: jgilmore

4) To the left of the power is the frac sand portion of the facility where many of the portable unloading thingys were parked. They can handle unit trains of sand and several other commodities here.
5) Just north of Artesia out on the dusty, windswept plains we came across this SB on the mainline headed for Carlsbad. The fracking boom out here is still in full swing so I'm guessing the train count is still around 3-5 a day, some days less and maybe a couple more when all the unit trains run.

JG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/24 20:42 by jgilmore.

Date: 04/13/24 05:08
Re: A few shots around Artesia NM
Author: BeaumontHill

I was there in December around Christmas time, and the place looked shut down. I was able to shoot the CVR lettered unit further down in the facility where it was by itself. With all of them being coupled togeather, I'd guess there waiting to be picked up, and heading for a new home? Lot's of frac sand facility's in NM and West Texas have gone belly up. Hopefully this changes towards the end of the year :)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0913 seconds